By law, do owners have to comply with recall ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can manufacture/dealer force car owner to comply with recall ?

Some Honda vehicles of model year 2001-2003 with Takata airbag have very high chance of airbags rupture in a crash. Can Honda forces owners of these vehicles take their vehicles to dealers to replace the defective airbags ? Honda has the power under the law to take Honda vehicles with defective airbags off the road ?

I think only Government, in this case state DMV has the power to forbid certain vehicle(s) on public road.

This is what a U.S. Senator said:

Originally Posted By: euronews.com
U.S. Senator Bill Nelson, a Florida Democrat, said urgent action is needed.

"These vehicles are deathtraps, and Takata and Honda have understated the risks for far too long," he said in a statement. "Merely telling people to come to dealers is not enough - they need to go out and find these vehicles and get them off the road."

Originally Posted By: euronews.com
Honda has already repaired more than 70 percent of the original group of 1.08 million vehicles recalled with this specific version of inflator.

One obstacle to ensuring that repairs are undertaken to the recalled vehicles is tracking owners: the vehicles can be as much as 16 years old and may have changed ownership several times since they were new.

http://www.euronews.com/business-newswir...honda-vehicles/

I don't think so. I heard that there's only a small percentage of people that take there cars in for recall. Lucky for the manufacture.

I doubt it but never put it past your government to trample your property rights.

I have a Camaro subject to GM's ridiculous ignition key recall. I refuse to give up my ingenious and handy switchblade key because a few bumpkins manage to kick off the ignition with their knees. I still think this one belongs in the Audi "sudden acceleration" bogus litigation hall of fame.

BTW, my dealer has serviced my car while obeying my wishes to leave my keys the hellalone.

Last edited:
By law the manufacturer cannot force someone to have a recall performed. However at least in California, the DMV will not allow a vehicle's registration renewal to process if there is an open recall.

Then how Honda does this "they need to go out and find these vehicles and get them off the road."

A US Senator is telling Honda to break the laws ?

A state DMV can force owners to do recall by not renew vehicle registration, without proof of certain recall(s) had been performed.

Manufactures have no authority under the law to take a vehicle off the road to perform safety recall, I think.

Couple months ago there was a thread about Honda was paying for car rental for Takata airbag recall. Honda knew there was a real problem with Takata airbag, even if they don't have all airbag to replace the defective ones, they were willing to pay for car rental for several months if needed. I don't think other manufactures are paying for car rental related to Takata airbag recall.

I think it is hard to fault Honda for this airbag debacle. They did what they could as of now, only when there is a court order allow Honda to seize all defective cars to do recall, they can't do much more.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
So if you buy a used Honda you should take it to a Honda dealer and have them tell you if it has had the airbag recall already done?

You need to do that BEFORE buying the car, because if it has been recalled it may take months before they can install a new airbag. You don't have to physically take the car to a dealer, just tell them the VIN.

Last edited:
There is no legal authority that can be used to force anyone to have recall work done on their car.
Some states may decline to register a vehicle with recall work left undone.
Lots of VW TDI owners will be dismayed to learn that they won't be able to renew their vehicle registrations unless they have the emissions recall done, for example.
So, while there may be no legal way of forcing people to have recall work done, there are practical means of requiring that it be done.
As for these Hondas being deadly, the senator should do his research. The same airbag inflator design was used in millions of cars that don't wear a Honda badge. These cars can have potentially lethal airbag deployments as well.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
By law the manufacturer cannot force someone to have a recall performed. However at least in California, the DMV will not allow a vehicle's registration renewal to process if there is an open recall.

In Illinois you can register a open recall vehicle, and no emission/safety testing.... VW owners are going to make bank!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back