Buying used tires

I've bought lots of used tires, never had an issue. A lot of people buy a brand new vehicle and switch out the tires immediately, these "used" tires are the best value. A lot of people buy brand new winter tires then trade in the car in the spring, I've bought lots of used winter tires.

I'll selectively buy used and 'new car' takeoffs can sometimes be good buys. An all wheel drive where tire wear matching is important is another area. I've had good results with none bad, but you have to be careful.

If you buy a used car, you bought 5 used tires. Do you immediately replace them?

When you're buying used tires, you get to inspect them dismounted for repairs or sidewall damage from being run flat.
If replacement is warranted, then yes. If it's not needed, then no.

Yeah I do it all the time.

FB Marketplace and CL are typically overpriced. Dreamers. I think they look at their out-the-door price paid that includes all the mounting etc then divide it by perceived life remaining, but they neglect to account for the last 2/32" that nobody wants to use. And, of course, the mounting fees the buyer will suffer.

I search by tire size but phrase it a couple different ways... 195 65 15, 195/65/15, 195/65R15 etc. The search algorithms are good but not perfect. There are also dopes who will advertise "goodyear tires for cavalier" without mentioning the size, and they probably miss a bigger audience.

I used to have good luck with a disorganized junkyard that charged $5-10 a tire, and this was in 2012 when new tires were $75+ due to an oil crisis. I like buying from a junkyard since the cars rusted out and the tires are probably fine. Tires from a tire store are immediately suspect-- someone decided they were so bad they had to come off before they wore out. They charge more now and new tires are cheaper.

I keep hitting walmart, ebay, and amazon with my tire sizes-- there are occasional flash sales on new rubber. Just got some "Supermax" for my camry for 30-something bucks a tire shipped. Like my oil stash, I try and do a tire stash... buying 3-6 months before I need them.

I'll add that I have a tire mounter and balancer. Sometimes I'll get a set of tires on rims, separate them, and make my money back on the part I didn't want.
What mounter and balancer did you buy?

Would you buy a used a pair of underpants?
ON BITOG I don't believe this is out of the realm of possibilities. Sometimes this forum reeks of cheapness.....we have an inflation cycle now (for whatever reasons) everyone is going to be paying alot more for everything. I waiting for the first-"I bought a $10,000.00 beater thread"

October 2021 I bought two house brand tires from Discount for $44 each plus junk fees. These were the lowest cost tires I could find.

Now, 14 months later, the same exact tires are $70. I'm simply not going to pay it.

I'd like to hear from some folks that regularly buy used tires. There are lots of used tire shops around me. I know to check for plugs and damaged beads, cracks, odd wear or lumps. Any other pointers?
What vehicle are you too cheap to put decent tires on? Inquiring minds would like to know!

My son does not have near the income I do - and a set of tires can be a hit in the wrong month. He puts them on a Discount Tire credit card and pays them in 5 months to make sure the 6 months is not exceeded …
At least that means good quality new tires …

Back