Buying Small Van (Ford Transit, RAM ProMaster City etc)

I might be looking to buy one as a work vehicle and am curious to know what owners of them like and dislike and of course how well it has treated you. Year, miles and your maintenance schedule and use would be helpful.

The ford small van is a transit connect, the transit if full sized IIRC. That being said, the Ford transit connect is in the process of being discontinued.

The ford small van is a transit connect, the transit if full sized IIRC. That being said, the Ford transit connect is in the process of being discontinued.
Yeah I see that both the Connect and ProMaster City are done. So as you noted it will be only the Transit and ProMaster available. I wonder what kind of MPG the larger ones get.

I’d get the ProMaster City. My aunt bought a 2020 earlier this year and had converted into a camper van. Drives nice, is a bit bigger than the Ford and Nissan especially.

EFC9C1FC-627A-431E-B69C-0D7606B1EAEF.jpeg

We've been happy with both of our Connects, 1st) 2015 2nd) 2020 even with the small shuttering transmissions issue where as Ford claims this is typical and nothing to worry about. However it will be difficult to have things repaired on the Connect as the dealership we've went to aren't willing to honor our windshield recall or the shifter bushing recall. This is way it's important to locate an alternative shop to handle these repairs. We've bene lucky that we located a performance shop who handles several Connect contracts. Thus they know the inside and outs of the van.

We've been happy with both of our Connects, 1st) 2015 2nd) 2020 even with the small shuttering transmissions issue where as Ford claims this is typical and nothing to worry about. However it will be difficult to have things repaired on the Connect as the dealership we've went to aren't willing to honor our windshield recall or the shifter bushing recall. This is way it's important to locate an alternative shop to handle these repairs. We've bene lucky that we located a performance shop who handles several Connect contracts. Thus they know the inside and outs of the van.
Thanks, I've decided on a Transit Connect and should have it by December. Have you asked your tech if the Lubeguard Shutter Fix or just the red bottle of Lubeguard helps the shutter issue?

I've not researched this enough as of yet, but again Ford tells me that this shuddering is "normal" or "typical" for the vans and isn't anything to worry about. Plus they wouldn't do a flush fill at 30K miles said I needed to wait till 100K miles.. Bet me.. this is why I'm searching for a BG product's service center to handle the job. been slow going as the shops list on the BG locations isn't correct. 6 shops listed as caring the BG product and services didn't. Currently I have a line on two more shops out of state though that should have the adapters needed to service the Connect trans. I'll report back once we locate and confirm this location.

As for the product you've listed I bet that if you use this 1) other will do the same assuming it works & 2) Ford would void your warranty IF they found out you used it. Same holds true for the BG products we're going to use. But clearly, we'll never goto the dealership again.

Oh and btw, don't buy the extended warranty, it's useless if you start modifying the van like we have. I believe the factory warranty is 70K we upped it to 100K and we shouldn't have. Also, be aware that the Dec run of the Connect is the last run as the Connect is going extinct. if you decide to tuner it or add performance parts let me know, I have a vendors list of cross over parts from Mazda and the extinct Focus that will also fit the Connect. Oh one more thing seeing how your in FL, best take a run over to Aaron Vaccars shop for some insight on what he's done to the Connect.

I keep thinking to things to tell you. I would seriously sit and test drive the van before you buy. because the seats don't have many adjustments unless you get the people hauler with full adjust seats. We're in the development stage of creating a bushing kit for connect owners who need the seats lifted up or angled forward to make up for a bad pinch point at the hip, knees and lower back. Check the seats before you buy.

Edit: Corrected typo.. Shuddering, Not shuttering

Last edited:
I'd pass on the Ford and go with the Ram ProMaster City.
I spoke with a woman yesterday that has the ProMaster City who told me her regret was going with it and not the Ford. Go figure. I asked why and she said the RAM dealer has done all the servicing from the first one and first the engine blew up at 40k miles then the transmission blew up at 50k miles. She said until that point it has been great but now she's scared to even drive it that far.

I spoke with a woman yesterday that has the ProMaster City who told me her regret was going with it and not the Ford. Go figure. I asked why and she said the RAM dealer has done all the servicing from the first one and first the engine blew up at 40k miles then the transmission blew up at 50k miles. She said until that point it has been great but now she's scared to even drive it that far.
Things happen. I've heard horror stories about vehicles from all the major auto makers. Yep even Honda and Toyota. ;)

I've seen some earlier (2013 ish) Transit Connects that blew up, IMO, prematurely. Not sure if they were dogged to death. Don't give a truck's duties to a unibody meant for a Kia.

Seems 2021 was the last year for the Nissan NV200/ Chevy and it's CVT.

@andreigbs If we had to do it all over again, I would have taken your advice more seriously. Though I don't have any regrets as of yet for the van and things are progressing in the right direction. We both feel that the 2020+ TC is one of the best sports cars on the market. wait did I just say sports car? yep.. the van is a wolf in sheep's clothing and is very agile, nimble and very well balanced for the street. Though it could use and will get a few more cross over performance parts here very soon.

Back