Buying oil filters: anyone buy them online?

I buy most of mine online (mainly Amazon or Ebay) and have never had an issue. I had one that was dented (a Fram Ultra from Amazon) and after contacting customer support with a picture of the giant dent and a comment that I could hear things rattling around inside, they sent me a new one right away.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Oildudeny
no personal bank/checking account on file with paypal. i just have my credit card listed. i think you need a bank checking account if you want a sellers account so you can receive funds from people. not 100% but thats my account.

With PayPal you can set it up to withdraw from a checking account (without being a "seller"), or a credit card. I've paid with PayPal with checking withdraw for years.

Thing is, PayPal does not have your password to your banking info, so having PayPal withdraw from checking is no different than you having any company withdraw from your checking once it's setup. IMO, it's even more secure to have PayPal take it out of you checking account than your credit card because they do have your credit card on file. With your bank info (just the account number) they only have your bank account number but no passwords, etc to get directly into you account.

That is all well and good until you get in to a dispute with PayPal.

If there is a dispute and PP charges your checking account then that is your problem. They got your money. Your at their mercy.

If there is a dispute and they charge the credit card then it's the credit card company's problem. They got the credit card company's money not yours. You tell your credit card company you didn't authorize a charge or there is a problem then they just backcharge PayPal.

With credit cards you have tons of protections against unauthorized charges.
With direct payment from your checking you have very little.

Isn't PayPal just a money transfer service between a seller and a buyer? If there's a dispute between you and a seller that you used PayPal to pay them with, is PayPal really going to do anything about the your dispute with a seller?

If you bought an item on eBay for instance, and you paid the seller with PayPal and then you had a dispute with the seller, isn't it going to be the seller and eBay that get involves in resolving the dispute ... not PayPal.

Isn't PayPal just a money transfer service between a seller and a buyer? If there's a dispute between you and a seller that you used PayPal to pay them with, is PayPal really going to do anything about the your dispute with a seller?

If you bought an item on eBay for instance, and you paid the seller with PayPal and then you had a dispute with the seller, isn't it going to be the seller and eBay that get involves in resolving the dispute ... not PayPal.

Years ago a seller jerked me around and didn't send me the product I'd bid on. I went to Pay Pal (who I don't use anymore) They refunded my purchase money and they got the seller kicked off eBay.

I didn't say anything about a dispute with a "seller". I said a dispute with PayPal. They like to be judge and jury when it comes to problems and they have this crappy system of resolving issues though long drawn out web forms and waiting for the he said/she said. If I don't get satisfaction from PayPal then I just pickup the phone and call my credit card company. "Hello credit card company? I didn't authorize this charge". Or "There is a problem and Ebay isn't helping, if you want your money you better backcharge paypal"...Click. Problem solved.

The CC is a 2nd, stronger layer of protection. If you let them direct debt out of your checking account then you are at their mercy to return your money if any problems come up.You have no leverage. That is why they push so hard to link your checking account rather then a credit card.

With a credit card you have a ton of legal protections. With paypal/ebay you have what ever their company policy is that day. Their TOS is to protect them, not you. If you don't agree with the decision and they already hit your checking account oh well. I would rather risk the CC company's money then my own in this deal.
cool.gif

If fraud happens and someone charges a ton of crap to your credit card then the credit card company has a problem. You are NEVER responsible anything you didn't authorize.
If fraud happens and someone direct debt's you checking account then you have a problem. Have fun fighting it out with the banks.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted by CrAlt

I didn't say anything about a dispute with a "seller". I said a dispute with PayPal.

What kind of dispute with PayPal? If I buy something for $xx.xx (from eBay or where ever) then I get charged $xx.xx, and $xx.xx comes out of my account. Simple transaction. You saying PayPal is going to charge me differently than what the seller sold a product to me for? What else beside a mischarge by PayPal would cause some kind of a dispute with PayPal. If they don't charge correctly to reflect the seller's final cost to me, then PayPal should correct it with no hassles. Not trying to give you a bad time, just trying to see your point of what a "depute with PayPal" (and not the seller) would be all about.

And besides, whenever you buy something using PayPal you see what the final transaction breakdown is before you finalize the transaction, so there should be no surprises of what you're going to be charged on your Visa card or bank account.

Originally Posted by Donald
I have bought Subaru OEM filters by the lot of 6 on Amazon. But then came across the NAPA platinum filter. When they are on sale they are impossible to beat.

I just purchased some Napa filters online. They have the Platinums on for $5.99 thru the end of the month. It's free shipping with over $50 too. I have bought from Rock Auto (if I'm ordering other things and can combine shipping) and ebay years ago. But I too worry about knock offs from Ebay/Amazon. Probably safe as long as it's a legit parts store.

I'd consider buying oil filters online but shipping usually makes the purchase not worth it.

I started buying online in 2014 when we got two Kias that use same filter, so I was getting 10pcs at a time from US Amazon and picking them up at a mailbox in US, US price, free shipping and exchange rate made it very attractive. No Amazon Prime.
Now, since border is closed (for non-essential travel) and local prices are in C$12+ per filter I ordered Mann filters from RockAuto, pretty much same filter (a little better than Kia) and at C$7 per filter to my door.

I buy a lot from Rockauto, I average 2-3 orders a week. Every order I check to see what oil filters I can add that already come from a shipping warehouse my order is coming from. From there I always add a few filters so I get good deals.

Back