Buying oil brands based on the cool bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who here has ever bought oil based on the cool looking bottles that some of them come in. Is it the colors? The graphics used? The Name of it?
What has attracted you to buy certain oils based on cosmetic reasons only. I'm sure most of these purchases were before you all were members here.
I remember only buying the bottles of Mobil Conv Oil in the mid 90's based on the cool looking blue bottle it came in.

The quart bottles with a wide mouth spout are nice. I think Havoline and Mobil were first with that.

The Petro-Canada bottles have a nice ribbed "grip" on them, but the only reason i've used their fluids is that they happened to make an OEM fluid, like GM Auto Trac II or Hyundai SPIII.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

I liked the European Castrol jugs someone posted a couple months ago.

Probably not what you saw, but these are the jugs I used to buy Castrol in...

front2.jpg

But to answer the OP's question, no, I do not buy oil based on the looks of the bottle. :)

I liked Penn YB because if you wiped a thin layer of clean oil over the bottle and set it in your garden it would capture whitefly and some other insects.

The two I use, Amsoil ACD and Redline have boring containers. Maybe that says something about me. I've always liked the clear ones, the old Quakerstate cans, and Pennzoil Platinum.

Originally Posted By: aztec12
Right know I like valvoline synthetic bottles.
I think they look good

The NAPA ones are pretty cool too...

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: tenderloin
I prefer great looking jugs..............

I prefer big jugs
grin2.gif

When they match both descriptions is when they're the best...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Loobed

I liked the European Castrol jugs someone posted a couple months ago.

Probably not what you saw, but these are the jugs I used to buy Castrol in...

front2.jpg

But to answer the OP's question, no, I do not buy oil based on the looks of the bottle. :)

I think this is the one that he's referring to...

oil_castrol_edge_0w_30_6_5_.jpg

I like the white Shell oil bottles. Easy to mark on and use for other things. Otherwise, I buy what is on sale. Just bought a jug of PP at Wal-Mart today.

I've alway liked the red and blue Valvoline emblem. All of the major brands have nice looking bottles. It's fun to go to the store and see all the pretty colors. Sometimes I want one of each.

I once saw an article about frozen dinners and how bright colored packaging makes the product more enticing to buy. For example Stouffer's uses bright orange...like FRAM!!! AHHH!!!

That deep metallic green of the Castrol High-Mileage bottle -- it reminds me of the color Aurora's model kit of the Creature from the Black Lagoon was molded in, when I was a kid.

Still, I tend to buy on price. But if I needed an HM oil, Castrol's would be the first to spring to mind. Good marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back