Buying knives in Oz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rolling on from the self serve checkout thread, wife went to the store yesterday afternoon to get specifically some plastic spoons for the children to take yoghurt with their school lunches.

Again with the stupidity.

Went through the auto checkout, and the thing wouldn't let her pay, requiring teller assistance.

Teller came over looked at the screen, and asked if she'd tried to buy a knife...yes this.

http://shop.coles.com.au/online/mobile/n...ssorted-colours

Teller knew that my wife was in her 40s, and let the machine continue on with the transaction.

Said that the other day a kid came in to buy a roast chicken, some bread rolls, butter, plastic plates, and the same "knife" set, obviously for a picnic (or a stunningly expensive ruse to get hold of 6 bendy plastic knives)...she had to deny him service, and get him to fetch his mother to finish the transaction.

I am 66 and Wal Mart will not let me check out with a container of Power Service Diesel Kleen, Gmout, etc until a "manager" about 22 years old comes to verify that I am buying it for a legitimate reason and not to "huff" it.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
I am 66 and Wal Mart will not let me check out with a container of Power Service Diesel Kleen, Gmout, etc until a "manager" about 22 years old comes to verify that I am buying it for a legitimate reason and not to "huff" it.

Unless he asked you to take out your I.D. and show it to him, i dont see a problem with this one..

I have actually used a pocket knife to "sharpen" a plastic knife. I shave off the serrated portion and carve an edge. It's obviously not for use as a weapon, but for some things it cuts better in that state.

Friend of mine was thrilled to get a senior citizens discount and carded at the same ball game.

I was carded to buy a cigarette lighter (so I could shrink heat shrink tubing.)

Like I had cartons of cigarettes at home but no way to light them!

I have to get approval at the Wal Mart self checkout when I buy windshield washer fluid. I'd say you have to be pretty desperate for a high if you're huffing that.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I have to get approval at the Wal Mart self checkout when I buy windshield washer fluid. I'd say you have to be pretty desperate for a high if you're huffing that.

Oh, they're not huffing that it probably has alcohol in it, which some moron would try and drink. Since ordinary washer fluid is very cheap it would be a easy drink for an alcoholic or kid looking for it.

As for needed approval for purchasing of plastic knives, well it's ridiculous.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Says the man who's obviously never felt the soft embrace of Sweet Lady Washer Fluid...

Excellent wordsmithing, amigo.

Shannow, that story is just insane. The "civilized" world has truly lost all sense of normalcy and rationality. I've seriously contemplated moving out of the U.S. because of some of the stupid inane laws, rules and regulations that we have here. I speak 4 languages, so I'm thankful that I have some options.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Excellent wordsmithing, amigo.

I prefer the Blazing Saddles variation: Boy, you use your tongue prettier'n a twenty-dollar [self-censored]

Except, you were using your fingers, not tongue - on the other hand, I won't go there.

Originally Posted By: 29662
Shannow, that story is just insane. The "civilized" world has truly lost all sense of normalcy and rationality. I've seriously contemplated moving out of the U.S. because of some of the stupid inane laws, rules and regulations that we have here. I speak 4 languages, so I'm thankful that I have some options.

Forget about the laws, because they are not the real source of the problem, it is the lack of horse sense, and rational thought from people themselves. The laws mean nothing because in the end you can't save idiots from themselves. More evidence of the dumbing down of society.

No Slingshots, carded for plastic knives, firearms strictly prohibited. What is next? Gridiron helmets must be worn to leave the house.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: 29662

Forget about the laws, because they are not the real source of the problem, it is the lack of horse sense, and rational thought from people themselves. The laws mean nothing because in the end you can't save idiots from themselves. More evidence of the dumbing down of society.

I agree with you, but trying telling that to the statist politicians who keep passing laws to protect us all from ourselves. Last I checked there were approximatley 170,000 PAGES of federal laws and regulations, and about 40,000 NEW local laws passed here yearly. It's no wonder we are drowning in a sea of beaurocracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back