Buying a used car that will be short tripped

3-4 mi isn't that short and fuel injected cars with modern oil are pretty much immune to issues related to short tripping.
No,
Newer vehicles with DI also have a "severe service" schedule that includes driving in dusty conditions, extreme heat/cold, consistant high speed driving, and most importantly short tripping.

I agree with others on here, would not spend $15k on a car just for winter commuting, just use your current vehicle and do more frequent maintenance.

buying a car would be a worst case scenario. We probably think most days the wife can drop off/pick up. The accord is short tripped for her job. She is walking distance but has to carry things most days. I don’t want the GX getting beat up in parking lot. Our accord barely fit at the new employee lot. I do all the maintenance and some minor repairs. I stopped to look at a 2012 Fit that has 121,000. The hood had a lot of chips and the prev owner used the wrong color blue to touch up. The rest of the car was in pretty good condition and the price is 10,995. I do realize that having another car seems a little out there but I really don’t want to drive our GX. It main purpose is weekend and long trips. I do like the idea of an electric car, but that would entail getting a 240v outlet in the garage and the Wisconsin winters getting cold here not to mention the salt. I appreciate all the comments.

I posted in the “third car as a beater” thread but I wanted to get more specific. My career path has changed. Old job provided me with a company van. My new job is 3-4 miles from my home. That will not be a problem for spring, fall, and summer except for bad weather days. I plan on riding my bike to work when I can. Here is my issue, our other car is a gx 460. I really don’t want to short trip this truck on a daily basis in the winter or on days I need to drive or get called into work for emergencies. I have been thinking about buying a used car, 15k or less, for short trips to work and around town. Our accord is now the go to vehicle for around town stuff and I get it on the highway or longer trips once and awhile. I have been looking at the usuals Honda, Mazda, and Toyota compact and subcompact cars. I would like a vehicle with lower miles rather than something 100k+. Most vehicles I have looked at have good service records are one owners and no accidents. I really don’t care about looks but want a solid runner and can handle being short tripped.
Props to you riding a bike to work. I also prioritize living in a location that allows me to bike to work (3-5 miles). There’s no better way to commute in my opinion than combining the commute and exercise into the same task. It’s also green, so I get bragging rights. A little less safe, but worth the risk to me.

Props to you riding a bike to work. I also prioritize living in a location that allows me to bike to work (3-5 miles). There’s no better way to commute in my opinion than combining the commute and exercise into the same task. It’s also green, so I get bragging rights. A little less safe, but worth the risk to me.
I travel all over the southeast for work so no commute per se - but a priority for a retirement place is somewhere with reasonably safe bike paths or routes that take you somewhere. I have spent some time in Europe and many people take there bikes everywhere - to work, out to dinner, to the grocery store, etc. I would like to be able to do that. Even Charleston is trying - at least more than they have in the past.

I posted in the “third car as a beater” thread but I wanted to get more specific. My career path has changed. Old job provided me with a company van. My new job is 3-4 miles from my home. That will not be a problem for spring, fall, and summer except for bad weather days. I plan on riding my bike to work when I can. Here is my issue, our other car is a gx 460. I really don’t want to short trip this truck on a daily basis in the winter or on days I need to drive or get called into work for emergencies. I have been thinking about buying a used car, 15k or less, for short trips to work and around town. Our accord is now the go to vehicle for around town stuff and I get it on the highway or longer trips once and awhile. I have been looking at the usuals Honda, Mazda, and Toyota compact and subcompact cars. I would like a vehicle with lower miles rather than something 100k+. Most vehicles I have looked at have good service records are one owners and no accidents. I really don’t care about looks but want a solid runner and can handle being short tripped.
Not sure if you can find one below 15k, but EV can be an option (something like cheap Nissan Leaf etc.) then you don't have to worry about frequent oil changes.

Last edited:
Short tripping is only a thing around here, 3-4 mi isn't that short and fuel injected cars with modern oil are pretty much immune to issues related to short tripping.
If the engine never gets warm, the carbon is never burnt out of the cat and any condensation formed in the oil doesn't get evaporated off. If its GDI its even more likely to carbon up the intake valves. However if you run a few short trips followed by a long trip - ie 30 minutes or so - most of that is undone. Well except maybe the GDI part, but I am not much a fan of GDI so maybe I am biased.

If the engine never gets warm, the carbon is never burnt out of the cat and any condensation formed in the oil doesn't get evaporated off. If its GDI its even more likely to carbon up the intake valves. However if you run a few short trips followed by a long trip - ie 30 minutes or so - most of that is undone. Well except maybe the GDI part, but I am not much a fan of GDI so maybe I am biased.

Can you point to a case where this has occurred? I'm skeptical.

Back