Buying a used car that will be short tripped

I posted in the “third car as a beater” thread but I wanted to get more specific. My career path has changed. Old job provided me with a company van. My new job is 3-4 miles from my home. That will not be a problem for spring, fall, and summer except for bad weather days. I plan on riding my bike to work when I can. Here is my issue, our other car is a gx 460. I really don’t want to short trip this truck on a daily basis in the winter or on days I need to drive or get called into work for emergencies. I have been thinking about buying a used car, 15k or less, for short trips to work and around town. Our accord is now the go to vehicle for around town stuff and I get it on the highway or longer trips once and awhile. I have been looking at the usuals Honda, Mazda, and Toyota compact and subcompact cars. I would like a vehicle with lower miles rather than something 100k+. Most vehicles I have looked at have good service records are one owners and no accidents. I really don’t care about looks but want a solid runner and can handle being short tripped.

Any car can take short trips. The trick is to change the oil more frequently. Only you can decide which is your favorite car to buy however I would suggest a Honda Civic or a Toyota Corolla. It that's too small go to the next step up which would be a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. If you want to spend less money get a Honda Fit or a small Ford, Chevy, Buick. Only you know what you want to buy and anything anyone will suggest on this board will only be a guideline.

I have been thinking about buying a used car, 15k or less, for short trips to work and around town.
Why do you need a $15,000 car for an occasional 3-4 mile drive. Sounds like a $2-3K beater would work just fine. This would be ideal for an older EV that has experienced range degradation. First gen Leafs would fit the bill nicely.

I understand 15k sounds a little crazy for a beater but I want something that won’t possibly have the issues of a higher mileage beater. I’m sure that some of those high mileage beaters could last years with out major issues. Again these are ideas and thoughts for purchasing , good or bad. My main concern is buying then having to put money into it.

Your money to spend, but I’m with the others, for me, I couldn’t justify it. $3k for a true beater, or just suck it up and run the other cars. $15k in pocket pays for lots of oil changes and incidentals.

Only in today’s economy is $15k a “beater”… geez, how times have changed.

I understand 15k sounds a little crazy for a beater but I want something that won’t possibly have the issues of a higher mileage beater. I’m sure that some of those high mileage beaters could last years with out major issues. Again these are ideas and thoughts for purchasing , good or bad. My main concern is buying then having to put money into it.
That’s true for all used cars. Including the ones you already own.

Adding another to the fleet, you have extra reg&ins, plus, some stuff ages out. Tires every 6-10 years for example.

Do you do your own maintenance and repairs? How far to the garage for stuff you can’t do?

My wife Short tripped our Frontier to work for years. I just took it on a "long" trip just about every weekend - going somewhere I was going anyway - just made sure I used it. Didn't seem to cause any harm. I think this would work for you fine.

Anyway, if you do want another car - using whatever justification necessary :) - I personally would look for something newer model year / slightly higher miles. Higher miles tends to indicate it wasn't used for short trips - which it seems you understand why that is bad. I would also ensure I don't get anything GDI, nor a CVT - both of which are usually even less happy with short trips.

You should also factor in the insurance and tax costs. Your insurance will go up 50%. Property tax every year if your state charges it.

A used Prius would be good, they have either a thermos or an exhaust heat exchanger that brings the antifreeze up to temp in a short amount of time. Its abilities would also complement the rest of your fleet nicely.

And if you're buying a beater to "hate", it's the car not loved by many!

Don’t worry about short tripping your car. I wouldn’t buy an extra car for that. I have been working 3 miles from home for about 6 months after a 30 mile commute. As long as you mix in regular longer drives you’ll be fine.

I'd just drive the current car, fuel cost is not an issue etc.
You could change the oil an extra time.

Sitting is the worst thing for a car... could try to get it out on the highway once every week or 2.

15k for a car to drive 3miles one season out of the year just doesnt compute.

It makes more sense if you have a truck and a 50mile one way commute because gas costs might just about pay the monthly payment and you keep the miles off the "good" car.

Is Uber available in your area? Why the hassle of maintenance? Maybe you should get a fun convertible.

My buddy has always had a $2k upper limit on cars, and he's had some interesting ones. 1997 Nissan Maxima, early 2000's Chevy Tahoe. He has a mid 2000's Dodge Durango now. Based on his ability to drive these things 2-5 years+, I would say to go low dollar and accept anything that appears to be road worthy and seemingly reliable. Brand doesn't matter. You have nice cars already, this one is a beater is my .02....my buddy did spend $1200 this year on exhaust and 02 sensors for the Dodge....to pass inspection

Just drive your current car. If it makes you feel better, change the oil a little more often. Sure beats spending thousands on another car.

Just drive your current car. If it makes you feel better, change the oil a little more often. Sure beats spending thousands on another car.
come to think of it, my wife has a < 2 mile commute, which I know is terrible for the car, but we never considered getting another to take its place....

For once I agree with what Mr. Atikovi said, a used Leaf that's a bar down or however it measures battery health would be about perfect and cheap. You'd probably have 2 ICE cars mostly sitting. Bonus points for being even more disdained than a prius. 👍
didn't know that was possible (j/k peeps lol)

Back