buying a used bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to buy a used specialized for $150

What should I be looking for in this bike or any bike in general?

Age, condition, and price when new. I generally pay less the half of what it was new ( up to 1/3 list price) Search for blue book bike value online with specific year and model. If the bike is too old, exact replacement hardware could be harder too find.

The first thing to check is that it's not stolen.
You not specifying what type of bike.
If your riding on pavement , get something with 700X23-32 tires unless you weigh
400 pounds.
The brand name isn't everything. The two big frame makers are Kinesis
and Giant. Giant makes a lot of the frames for Specialized.
Shimano makes department store junk components and very high end boutique
bicycle components.
Get something that fits. A lot of people don't know squat about bikes. Such a person could be 6'4", go to a Wal-Mart or Target and not realize every bike at those stores is too small for them. A real bike store will have the same model in different frame sizes to fit short and tall people.

Road bike, dirt bike, little of both? Make sure you check the frame. Haven't looked often but the bikes I have seen for sale around here don't seem to sell for much. I have seen some really nice bikes for not much money.

That's like saying I'm buying a Toyota car for $1000 what should I look out for? Specialized makes bikes from $300 to $13,000. Whatever you do get a bike that fits, if you don't know what that is do some searching. "proper bike fit" is a place to start. Good luck and start riding!

Fit is most important, Go to a local Specialized,Trek etc dealer and get matched to what size bike frame is best for you then look for a used one

I learned the hard why on buying brand new in this situation by buying a brand new Trek 7000 model for the average going price of one thousand bucks in 2000 ,,,,,,I was at a flea market a few months after buying the Trek and came across a used Marin (USA made and top rated at the time ) mountain bike which retailed for 700-800 brand new ,,,It was a 1999 model in near perfect condition and i got it for 55 dollars ,,, Needless to say i enjoyed it more than the Trek

Too late,I already made that mistake. Last summer I bought this bad boy for$1100

6q8osx.jpg

A year later and 8 miles, I also bought the odometer, I realize I wanted a mountain bike not a road bike!

Paid that amount for my Specialized 90's model. Brake cables, tires etc are fairly easy to check. The only thing I would say is any of the bearings. Do the spin and sound test. Spin test isn't extremely accurate as I'd still repack from front to back once you get it home!

Nice ride Rr! How does it ride? U in Wisconsin? Just ride trails and flatland or take in on-road?

That bikes looks good, but I am wondering why, it seems, new bikes are going to a slanted top tube. My early 90s road bike's top tube is about as horizontal to the ground as it gets. I may go put a level on it!

Yep, perfectly level.

I've looked at 520 bikes online and I think the early ault years they went to a sloped top tube- also about the time I thin, they started using Taiwanese frames.

Any correlation there?

No, it's not some Taiwanese plot to make all bikes look like girly bikes. The sloping top tube is to give more standover height for your junk
crazy.gif
, makes the frame a bit more rigid, and might weigh a gram or 2 less. It started with mountain bikes and road bikes followed.

" The sloping top tube is to give more standover height for your junk"
When I purchase my Trek 600 (still have it) in the 80's, the guy gave me the straddle the frame test and wanted to sell me a slightly shorter bike. I replied that I had ridden and fallen off many bikes, I never fell that way. I got the bike size I wanted. I have 34" inseam, so I wanted what was a 25" frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back