Buying a large qty of an item at Costco, might be worth a trip to the store over Costco.com

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Looking at buying about 2200 square feet of flooring.

Checked Costco.com, they are selling Mohawk Home Westmere Scraped Oak Waterproof Laminate at 43.99 a box, it has a $8 instant rebate through 27FEB2022, so the flooring comes to $35.99 a box. I need 120 boxes, so the cost before tax is 4318.8, after tax $4621.11

Costco sells this exact flooring, in store, with rebate for $28.99 a box. For 120 boxes, pre tax is $3478.80, after tax $3722.32

Savings on buying at the Costco in store over buying at Costco.com= is almost $900.

PXL_20220212_160509638.jpg

Does this store have the 120 boxes that you need? If not, are there other stores within a reasonable distance? The folks at the service desk can check inventory at other locations for you.
I am not sure I am going with this flooring- the description states waterproof, but reviews state otherwise. Guess the interpretation of waterproof can vary.

I was just caught by surprised that buying on line from Costco on a item such as flooring would have a $900 price difference.

In Costco.com defense, I think on-line= free delivery. One has to pickup at the store. When it comes to boxed flooring, many boxes get damaged, so at the store one can put aside boxes with damage, something not available with home delivery.

Well, two things come to mind.
1. The online price includes shipping and 120 boxes $900 seems cheap to ship. You would be getting 120 boxes weighing 3,840 Lbs delivered for $900.
(It would have cost me $187 to ship a small 100 Lb set of dumbbells to the manufacturer if I want to return them Via UPS)

2. The benefit of being a Costco member is you can buy stuff in the "warehouse" for less money and pick it up yourself. You do not have to be a Costco member to buy online unless it specifies "Members Only" but to buy in the warehouse you do have to be a member.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
I cannot find that product at the Mohawk web site to view it's build specifications. Is it a Costco exclusive? $1.60 per square foot is REALLY inexpensive. I paid over $4.00 per square foot this past summer for some medium quality luxury vinyl plank that included a hefty workplace discount.

I cannot find that product at the Mohawk web site to view it's build specifications. Is it a Costco exclusive? $1.60 per square foot is REALLY inexpensive. I paid over $4.00 per square foot this past summer for some medium quality luxury vinyl plank that included a hefty workplace discount.
Is this what you mean?

I think and stress think that maybe the is the product with the name change being its Costco

Its getting hard to compare products from big retailers even Best Buy, Walmart, Target, the companies make changes to the product and model numbers so the retailer can avoid price shopping and comparing.

Last edited:
Reactions: GON
With flooring, you do not want to get boxes from different locations as they will likely be different lots. That means you can have color/texture variations that you might not think play well together when installed. Best to be able to but from a single source who can talk to you about lot numbers!!

@ alarmguy, I didn't look too hard, but I am having trouble finding the build specifications like core material, coating thickness (mils), etc. that most other brands give.

While this Revwood product markets water proofness heavily, their care instructions state: "While RevWood Plus can be wetmopped, when it comes to RevWood, always avoid mopping with water and dry up any water spills immediately." Confusing to me. I need flooring that can withstand a dishwasher leak that goes unattended for a while. Boot snow melt off that sits overnight, etc..

Last edited:
2. The benefit of being a Costco member is you can buy stuff in the "warehouse" for less money and pick it up yourself. You do not have to be a Costco member to buy online unless it specifies "Members Only" but to buy in the warehouse you do have to be a member.
Technically you don't have to be a member to buy things at Costco. You just have someone buy you a gift card and you use the gift card to pay. It's kind of a pain though, they have to call a manager over to do some kind of override if you don't have a membership number. Getting into a Costco is the same thing, just show the gift card.

With that much are you sure Costco is the best place to buy? or do you think some wholesaler would sell it cheaper?

I don't know, but you may need multiple trips and maybe local cost is because their inventory is low / none.

With that much are you sure Costco is the best place to buy? or do you think some wholesaler would sell it cheaper?

I don't know, but you may need multiple trips and maybe local cost is because their inventory is low / none.
Unfortunately, I think so.

Flooring sales appears to have a lot of hocus pocus sales process. Almost all of the on-line retailers require you provide your name, address, phone, and e-mail to receive a quote. And as Alarmguy mentioned, they make it hard to compare floors by part number.

Unfortunately, I think so.

Flooring sales appears to have a lot of hocus pocus sales process. Almost all of the on-line retailers require you provide your name, address, phone, and e-mail to receive a quote. And as Alarmguy mentioned, they make it hard to compare floors by part number.
Sometimes it's hard to beat the big box stores. For roofing material, I knew that the roofing contractors got like 20% off that walk-ins didn't get at roofing supply houses. But even with their 20% discount, the list price at Home Depot was actually cheaper. Plus if you go over a certain dollar amount, you can go to the pro-desk and they will put together a specific bid for you based on the dollar volume you're buying. Costco I think has a standard where they mark up about 10-14% over cost so they can have low prices across the board.

Back