Buy an couple extra oil and air filters this week. A major Filter company just closed up shop due to costs and lack of materials.

10 minute video.
It might get harder to find your particular filter plus less competition usually means higher prices.

Eric of Sagenews, bald guy with black shirt follows the supply chain issues.

Mods if you want to move this to a more appropriate forum, go for it.

Never once heard of Luberfiner, but I see they're owned by Champion Labs. Are they saying Champion Labs is stopping filter manufacturing?

Luberfiner brand was mainly directed towards fleet and heavy equipment use. I used them on my oil furnace. You can get inexpensive and IMO lower quality Luberfiner oil and gas filters online for US brand cars and trucks.
No idea if it affects Champion.

Or, if you don't need filters for a few months, don't be selfish and stockpile creating an even worse shortage. As a society, would be great if we thought rationally and not emotionally. I sometimes have an extra on hand. But they can often go 10k miles for oil, and 20-40k for air. Maybe, because there's a shortage, everyone should stretch their interval toward the manufacturer recommended instead of being selfish?

Odd idea, I know.

Or, if you don't need filters for a few months, don't be selfish and stockpile creating an even worse shortage. As a society, would be great if we thought rationally and not emotionally. I sometimes have an extra on hand. But they can often go 10k miles for oil, and 20-40k for air. Maybe, because there's a shortage, everyone should stretch their interval toward the manufacturer recommended instead of being selfish?

Odd idea, I know.
Luberfiner filters were like $1.81 for my truck on rock auto wouldn’t surprise me to see a commodity product like that not be sustainable in the current market. No need to vastly exceed what a filter is capable of nor a need to buy 50 filters.

Luberfiner is part of First Brands.

As for supply chain issues all industry sectors are affected. So yes, if you change your oil on a regular basis then perhaps having a extra change or two on hand might be prudent.

Luberfiner filters were like $1.81 for my truck on rock auto wouldn’t surprise me to see a commodity product like that not be sustainable in the current market. No need to vastly exceed what a filter is capable of nor a need to buy 50 filters.
I'm guessing many on here change their engine and cabin filters more often than recommended. And my Honda used to have oil filter replacement every other change. Not saying to go beyond maintenance manual, just maybe 20k-30k on an easily driven engine air filter that the manual says every 30k miles. Instead of 10k or 15k. Imagine decreasing waste by 20-50% but following recommended intervals. Instead of some UOAs I see that are like 2-4k with synthetic and a few months of use because they just weren't sure if Super Tech synthetic could last for 4 months and 5k in their naturally aspirated Honda. 🤦‍♂️

Luberfiner is part of First Brands.

As for supply chain issues all industry sectors are affected. So yes, if you change your oil on a regular basis then perhaps having a extra change or two on hand might be prudent.
If you have a change coming up in a month or two, that isn't an unnecessarily short change interval, yeah, plan ahead maybe. But can we not clear the store shelves out due to fear? That would be great. Went to a garage sale a couple weeks ago, (was on a walk, just took a quick peek) and they had 5 giant bales of toilet paper. I made a joke about it and they said they had 10 more but realized they didn't need 15. I mean, c'mon. We don't need to instill more fear in people and create hoarding of car parts, too.

If you have a change coming up in a month or two, that isn't an unnecessarily short change interval, yeah, plan ahead maybe. But can we not clear the store shelves out due to fear? That would be great. Went to a garage sale a couple weeks ago, (was on a walk, just took a quick peek) and they had 5 giant bales of toilet paper. I made a joke about it and they said they had 10 more but realized they didn't need 15. I mean, c'mon. We don't need to instill more fear in people and create hoarding of car parts, too.

It’s not instilling fear, it’s being prepared. I’m not into hoarding supplies like some but then again it’s none of my business how others live.

One or two extra filters seem like a good idea. Remember no TP isn't the end of the world, a squirt of water is what is used in many parts of the planet.

One or two extra filters seem like a good idea. Remember no TP isn't the end of the world, a squirt of water is what is used in many parts of the planet.
Exactly. That was my answer if the TP apocalypse occurred. Not closets and closets of TP so nobody else can have any. It's selfish.

I suppose it all depends on your meaning of hoarding. Buying a extra oil filter?

So if I have 3 cases of instant ramen soup in the pantry then someone else will starve?

Or maybe we should have laws in place to limit this kind of thing? That way we all suffer equally.

Probably not. Just no need to hoard (more than filter or so extra on hand if it wasn't something bought a while back) when the supply chain is strained. In fact, probably help out if we all thought about how we could change our behavior until it starts to get back in track. Do I need a new phone this year? Computer? Can my oil change last 7500 instead 5000? Can my air filter last 25k instead of 20k? Obviously we don't (yet) need to violate owner's manuals, but a lot of us (myself included) sometimes do things "early" because it's convenient, something is on sale, etc. I'm just saying "stop and think" and be a good neighbor.

Luberfiner brand was mainly directed towards fleet and heavy equipment use. I used them on my oil furnace. You can get inexpensive and IMO lower quality Luberfiner oil and gas filters online for US brand cars and trucks.
No idea if it affects Champion.
Champion is part of the Fram fold again. If anything, the Champion side will be slimmer and consolidated into the mainline Fram brand and the Champ side will be their private label filter side.

I bought some Luberfiners for my Jeep from RockAuto awhile back. They were on close out, a buck a piece, and we’re nothing more than some wide-gapped E-Cores. I’ll use them, probably in the summer when it’s hot, but there was nothing great about these filters. If them closing their doors means shortages and high prices, so be it. I’m used to it by now.

I will sell ya a Fram XG7317 for $500, in the original, slightly torn box. Plus shipping, of course.
Hey, I'm a capitalist!
Just kidding. But I have an extra, if ya need one.

Back