Butane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

Most cigarette lighters utilize butane for ignition. I am aware that most of the info I've seen out there that cars will be converted over to hydrogen for fuel and cars will use other sources of fuel.

Just a thought I always did ponder but never took seriously was is it possible to run a car on butane. Not pouring butane right into your modern vehicle, POW!!! but maybe in the future,,,,AR

Stick your butane lighter in your freezer overnight then then to light it.
grin.gif

Butane liquifies at a higher temperature than propane so is more difficult to use under less than warm conditions.

LPG is a butane-propane mix and is more easily used than straight butane, while making good use of butane.

sure, but youd need either a solid oxide or molten carbonate fuel cell with internal reforming or direct fuel oxidation, or else a pem fc with a nickel based reformer, water-gas shift reactor and some sort of h2 sepration system...

Its tough to get diesel-equivalent efficiencies without making bulk-hydrogen at high efficiencies or very high temp fuel cells. It really needs a turbine or other energy recovery system, thermal integration etc to work at high enough efficiencies, even with a cleanly reformedf fuel like methane or methanol.

IC engines might run well on it, but thats not really the future.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back