Busch Clash

Anyone tuning into the clash tomorrow night? I'm currently watching practice, then single car qualifying. Tomorrow they're running the qualifying races and then the clash.

Sure seems same thing as last year’s issue had entire off season to figure it out.
I wasn't following when harvicks car went up in smoke at Darlington. I heard it was rubber buildup in the rocker box on the exhaust right?

Sue and I had VIP access last year thanks to the fine folks at NASCAR. Some pictures. Chad Knaus and I talked for 20 minutes about suspension setups. At the time both of us were reading Adrian Newey's book, which was good for a big laugh. Chad could not have been nicer. Tony looked super buffed and when I mentioned that he replied, "Hell no! I hate effing gyms!" Too funny! Richard Childress' persona was like your favorite uncle. A super nice guy you could spend all evening with after a Thanksgiving dinner with the family. And Michael is EXACTLY like the person you see and hear on television. And that's Ted Larson, Kyle's grandfather and me. He was very friendly and engaging. And the best part - we shared the VIP suite with Kyle Larson's entire family, including Kyle himself. And lastly, that's Sue and me. An epic weekend thanks to NASCAR.

Scott

IMG_6048.jpeg
IMG_6059.jpeg
IMG_6073.jpeg
IMG_6086.jpeg
IMG_6110.jpeg
IMG_6119.jpeg

Last edited:
Sue and I had VIP access last year thanks to the fine folks at NASCAR. Some pictures. Chad Knaus and I talked for 20 minutes about suspension setups. At the time both of us were reading Adrian Newey's book, which was good for a big laugh. Chad could not have been nicer. Tony looked super buffed and when I mentioned that he replied, "Hell no! I hate effing gyms!" Too funny! Richard Childress' persona was like your favorite uncle. A super nice guy you could spend all evening with. And Michael is EXACTLY like the person you see and hear on television. And that's Ted Larson, Kyle's grandfather and me. He was very friendly and engaging. And the best part - we shared the VIP suite with Kyle Larson's entire family, including Kyle himself. And lastly, that's Sue and me. And epic weekend thanks to NASCAR.

Scott

View attachment 138821View attachment 138822View attachment 138823View attachment 138824View attachment 138825View attachment 138826
I saw Tony and Michael at Nashville fairgrounds last year at the SRX race, albeit it was from the grandstands.

A few more pics. Some people mock these machines, or NASCAR itself. I've been going to races since the late '60s in the early days of Can Am. I crewed for a very successful team in the heyday of SCCA racing in the early and mid '70s. I've seen F5000 in its glory days, when F5000 cars were faster than F1 cars. Fact! I've been to a dozen F1 races in the late '70s and thoughout the '80s. I had a personal, one-on-one conversation in front of a thousand people with James Hunt about his dog, Oscar. When James and I shock hands and wished each other well afterwards, people looked at me wondering who the heck I was. Too funny! A picture of our conversation was published in Road and Track magazine. I followed and attended countless IMSA races. I attended the 1982 24 Hours of Le Mans and saw the closest finish in the race's history. Vern Shuppan, Hurley Haywood, and Al Hobert won, Hobert stopping his overheated, smoking, completely used up Porsche 956 just past the finish line, literally right in front of me. I've been to over a dozen CART and IndyCar races. And a dozen or more NASCAR races, both road courses and super speedways.

My point is this. The new generation NASCAR Cup car is some SERIOUS kit. It is a wicked, bad ass racing machine. Look at all the ducting in the back of Truex's car. Checkout the suspension pickup points and how they can adjust roll centers.

Serious machines. See for yourself.

Scott

IMG_6081.jpeg
IMG_6082.jpeg
IMG_6071.jpeg
IMG_6068.jpeg
IMG_6062.jpeg
IMG_6061.jpeg
IMG_6058.jpeg
IMG_6055.jpeg
IMG_6054.jpeg

Last edited:
Alright guys, qualifiers are starting in less than half an hour. Who's ready?

Back