burning oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys i have a 1997 nissan sentra did and oil change today and barely a quart if oil came out. this is the second straight oil change this has happen. car has not run any different suprisingly no oil light on either. i did 2 rounds or arx and changed the pcv valve, and have been using 5w30/10w30 oils. been thinking of stepping up to a 40 wt. any ideas? thanks guys.

Originally Posted By: macdole99
hey guys i have a 1997 nissan sentra did and oil change today and barely a quart if oil came out. this is the second straight oil change this has happen. car has not run any different suprisingly no oil light on either. i did 2 rounds or arx and changed the pcv valve, and have been using 5w30/10w30 oils. been thinking of stepping up to a 40 wt. any ideas? thanks guys.

Switch to high mileage oil, also make sure your PCV hose isnt blocked. Also see that if your engine has a breather and make sure it isnt blocked.

Also if only a quart of oil is coming out at your oil change, make sure to keep your engine topped up between oil changes.

I had a 93 Sentra that tended to leak oil. One weak area was the front main seal. When it went there was oil all over the bottom part of the engine. Also, valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket needed to be replaced. So, I would look for leaks.

i check for leaks and saw nothing but seepage around the valve cover gasket which i changed out and still the problem exist.

You've got to check you oil level regularly. You should be doing this enough that your oil doesn't get to the point where there is only about a quart in it.

If you only have one quart coming out, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's gonna show up as below the low mark on your dipstick, if nothing at all. Why aren't you checking it and topping it off if necessary? I know in most cars there's usually one quart between the low and high mark.

its either burning oil or leaking oil! some more info might help: how many miles between oil changes? how many miles on the car? you are in serious jeopardy of blowing the engine if you run it down to one quart!

Owner abuse to let it get that low...... that one quart left in engine sure had a hard life trying to protect and cool the motor!!

thr car has about 160k on it ive been doing 3k changes with the car. the vehicle is my daughters car so i only get to check it roughly once a month when she comes home. i have the car here now so im trying to get this car taken care of

Last edited:
Macdole, do you know what mpg you are getting? If it's 22 or worse, you are burning oil because there's too much fuel in the oil. Get it fixed before the oil pan and underbody are coated with baked on oil.

2 oil changes and only draining a qt of oil both times. You might have done some damage, the oil has to be checked more often and topped up. You can try a thicker oil or some Schaeffers #132 which works well in cars that burn/use oil. I bought a bunch of it for use in a boat and sold a few bottles to a friend with an oil burner, and he loves the stuff. JMO

Originally Posted By: macdole99
Check the oil level each time you gas up .The oil light tells you it is too late.

Originally Posted By: MGregoir
15W-40 all summer long, 5W-30 only in the coldest part of winter.

If its burning off the HDEO, its rebuild time.
Id get a jug of Rotella/Delo and top it off as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back