burning more oil because of MMO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just noticed today that the oil is half way down (in the "safe" patch) on the dip stick on the '01 Jeep. I did 16oz of MMO the last OCI for the cold weather. Could this have thinned the oil out some enough to make it go down on the dip stick? It usually would take 4-5k for it to go down any.

Oh, I am on my 1st fill of HDEO 10w30 whereas before I had been using HM-dino 10w30. Not sure if that matters though.

if it was in the last OCI, you drained out 90+% of it when doing an oil change. That last
It could be an engine issue, a driving/use issue, or something that happened. You may have cleaned up something to some extent, and not all the way... as chemical action takes its course, there is some use in the interim.

Changing oils does sometimes induce usage.

thx for the reply, but to clarify, it is currently in the vehicle with 2500 miles on it...I did the MMO and HDEO at the same time and it is still in the vehicle.

Hope you figure it out. I've done the MMO for winter thing too (in my Sienna) and didn't notice increased consumption.

I considered doing it again this Winter (now!) in the Sienna, but I've topped the orig. Pennz. HM 5w30 (filled last Spring) off with about 2.5 qts of PP 5w20 over the Summer & Fall - so I'm thinking it's probably getting thin enough. (I would say definitely no increase consumption with the thinner oil.)

(last winter, I think I did a full qt MMO in the Sienna.)

Last edited:
You know what? I'm really thinking of taking a quart of the 5w30 Edge out of the Jeep and put in a qt. Of MMO for this winter. I know I would just feel better. This is the 3rd MMO post that I've stumbled apon tonight - I guess its a sign. Plus this new 'rev to 2ooo rpm @Startup' is driving me absolutly nuts.

I can't understand why people are using MMO to thin oil, or just as a general addition to the oil. I think it would be better just to run the oil, even if on the thick side rather than introducing an oil additive. Please enlighten me on the properties of MMO for running in the winter (as stated above) or just as a general oil additive. I could see to some extent if working with a dirty neglected engine, however I doubt most of the BIOG member engines come near that definition !!

The reason I ask is not to hijack the thread, I just see so many thread recommending adding MMO for a range of things to thin, clean, general additive to every OCI, and to clean which I can see the cleaning part, and winter use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rclint
I can't understand why people are using MMO to thin oil, or just as a general addition to the oil. I think it would be better just to run the oil, even if on the thick side rather than introducing an oil additive. Please enlighten me on the properties of MMO for running in the winter (as stated above) or just as a general oil additive. I could see to some extent if working with a dirty neglected engine, however I doubt most of the BIOG member engines come near that definition !!

The reason I ask is not to hijack the thread, I just see so many thread recommending adding MMO for a range of things to thin, clean, general additive to every OCI, and to clean which I can see the cleaning part, and winter use.

It will also make you more attractive to women and can be worn as a cologne!

It has sorta formed some spiritual status for oil adds. It's probably no more intense than M1 fans or people dedicated to PP..whatever. I tend agree with you, though. Oils are too good to require alteration. Again, if you develop a problem, there's always something to remedy it. I'd tend to not allow the problem to develop to begin with, but that's not always possible. I don't see too much wrong with its moderate use in fuel.

I was reading their message board. They have some head guru (he may be famous for all I know). Seems like a nice enough fellow. He stated a few times that MMO doesn't lower your viscosity @ 20% treat rate ..which is impossible. I think he meant to say that it wouldn't take it out of grade. I'd just use a lighter oil.

..but, hey, use it ..don't use it.
21.gif

If you believe what is said on some sites who sell products that directly compete with MMO, even a good oil can leave deposits in some engines. I happen to believe that statement. In ideal conditions with an engine that is not sludge prone, people can and do run 100's of 1,000's of miles with no issues what so ever. Then there are people who use their vehicles in severe service short hops, you name it, and even with a good OCI routine develop junk in their engines. Also people buy cars with unknown histories, and want to clean up the engine because they think it needs cleaning, or it really does need cleaning. They might actually be able to determine that by looking into the oil fill hole and seeing for themselves. MMO happens to be a good product for this. I does slightly thin oil, other products thicken it, at their suggested rate it doesn't take oil out of grade.

As far as adding it to the winter time, it does help in cold weather starting, and in extreme cold [at least for me, more than once] was the difference of starting and not starting. On a few occasions in the Adirondack mountains -35*F it drastically cut down on the sickening noise a cold engine with no pan or block heater makes after sitting several days. Is it for everyone, no especially if you're dead set against additives.

I've suggested more than once to people who might be on the fence about using MMO for fear of it thinning their oil, to use it in the winter when a slightly thinner oil is a plus. Does it have to be used every OCI? Not really. Once a year, or a pint for the last 1000 miles of an OCI, you name it. Every seller of additives wants you to use their product as much as possible. But that is your call. For the money I feel it is one of the best products on the market. JMO

Originally Posted By: Ed_T
I know a guy who fried the rings in his
389 Pontiac using MMO...

why not just use motor oil?

In over 35 years of using it that is the first problem I've ever heard or read about MMO causing a problem. Sounds like a HP application so there could be a lot more to this story. But then again, there's a first for everything.
21.gif
I'll stick with it.

Last edited:
you are probably getting some cleaning of the ring packs which is allowing a little blow by. MMO works very good when left in for a full OCI

Originally Posted By: lipadj46
Either that (and or combined with that) or the valves are worn and the thinned oil is getting past.

Yeah, thats real possible too

Everyones' posts here have merit (imo) - except where MMO destroyed the Pontiac - I'd have to see more data on that. But for me, if I've got spec'd 30 wt going in to the harshest winter months, and I'm gonna change it out in the Spring - then a qt of MMO in the crankcase sure makes things sound and feel smoother on cold mornings and indeed all day. And it might/might not be cleaning things up a bit before the OCI dump.

(BTW, except for occassional long trips, this app rarely sees much op. temp - mostly VERY short daily trips. Which is why I'm pleased that I've got mostly PP 5w20 in there now thinning out that Pennz. HM 5w30 - thus no need for MMO this yr. Will dump in the Spring and that'll be a full 1 yr OCI on the Sienna - perhaps 6k.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lipadj46
Either that (and or combined with that) or the valves are worn and the thinned oil is getting past.

well it is a non-neglected motor with around 80k...valve train should be in top shape. I checked it when it was not fully warmed up, so maybe that is why it reads slightly less on the stick?

Anyway, nothing wrong with the motor, I am betting the cleaning maybe or maybe it is all in my head.

Probably just the cleaning, many people have reported the same thing. I'd check the oil first thing in the morning and not worry much about it.

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
I checked it when it was not fully warmed up, so maybe that is why it reads slightly less on the stick?

Could be. I usually check my oil cold in the morning after it has been sitting overnight. That is the only way get a clear line on my dipstick. Just keep an eye on it. I use mmo in the winter FWIW.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back