Burning 1 Qt of Oil per fillup!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine just bought a newer Toyota pickup after his engine died at 290K on the old 22RE. I was floored when he told me the old one burned a QT of oil at every gas fillup for the last 100K miles. (It was abused early in it's life) He said he never changed the oil, just added a QT when it was a Qt low. For 100K!

Anyone else burn this much, or more?

Well, that explains the oil consumption. It was going right past those plugged up stuck piston rings. Lucky it lasted as long as it did.

I had a 86' Mitshbishi pickup I bought new in 86.

@ 18K it needed a valve job.
By 40K it would only start if I poured oil down the carb to get the compression up.

It died @ 44K of a broken crank and was using a qt of oil every 25 miles!

quote:

Anyone else burn this much, or more?

Yes, Chevy Vega owners in the 70s. Fill it up with oil and check the gas
grin.gif

When I was a gas jockey ..one Vega owner was so disgusted with the consumption ..he bought another (larger) vehicle. Then he started paying higher gas bills ..and then found another Vega.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris142:
I had a 86' Mitshbishi pickup I bought new in 86.

@ 18K it needed a valve job.
By 40K it would only start if I poured oil down the carb to get the compression up.

It died @ 44K of a broken crank and was using a qt of oil every 25 miles!

offtopic.gif
My 87 Mighty Max runs fine @ 170K or so. No major repairs. No oil consumption issues.

older Mitsubishis are kinda known as oil burners, my 1st Dodge minivan had the Mitsu 2.4L i4, at the end of it's life, we were going thru about a qt every 300 miles.

Picked up a used 92 honda civic. just over 100,000 on it. It turned oil black like a diesel motor and went through a quart every 250 or so miles. If I waited to check the oil at the same time I filled up with gas it would be nearing 2 qt low. I couldn't believe a Honda would do that. Ended up selling it rather quickly.

quote:

Originally posted by CardGuy:
Picked up a used 92 honda civic. just over 100,000 on it. It turned oil black like a diesel motor and went through a quart every 250 or so miles. If I waited to check the oil at the same time I filled up with gas it would be nearing 2 qt low. I couldn't believe a Honda would do that. Ended up selling it rather quickly.

Thant's also a common problem with the '90 and '91 Preludes with the B21 engine (2.1l or 2.05l, depending on who you talk to). This engine was Honda's first attempt at using 'FRM' carbon-fiber reinforced cylinder sleeves. Apparently "FRM" sleeved engines are very picky about break-in and oil-change intervals.

I've read posts on preludepower.com about B21s using as much as 1qt/250 mi.; frequently when they get that bad they start throwing rods.

the valve stem seals turned rock hard and cracked by 50,000 miles
then the inverted bucket tappet design just pumped oil down the valve guides like crazy

I had a 1980 Chevy Monza four banger that I had to add a couple of quarts of oil per week. I used to wonder if the dipstick wasn't wrong but it did smoke badly especially if I would coast down a hill and then give it gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back