Burning 1 qt every 600 miles,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'd try Maxlife 10W-40 or 20W-50. Can't hurt at this point.

If nothing works, as others have said, put a high-quality filter on it (M1, RP, etc...), top it off regularly, and maybe change the filter once a year, or even two.

+1 I'd try the 20W-50 MaxLife...

Did you get a compression test done on this engine?
54.gif

Years ago I had a car that used 1 qt per tank. After a while I didn't care and it was easy to dump a qt in when refueling. After a while longer I used to just add oil from other cars oil changes in the family that I collected. Eventually I changed the motor since I stumbled on a whole car for real cheap in the junk yard.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I wouldn't run a HDEO in a burner if you need to keep the catalyst operational. Run a weak addpack oil like MC 5-30 if little diff in the oil comsumption. Sounds like you have valve guide/seal wear.

If his cat was poisonable, it would already be toast. This is a "true myth".

You're asserting that 2/3 the amount of too much poison will kill the cat.

Gary_-Will you tell the Auto manufacturers and the Feds that, please! Actually I believe it is poison. Just like the MMT fuel octane boost deniability 10 or so years ago. Thats stuff gone.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'd try Maxlife 10W-40 or 20W-50. Can't hurt at this point.

If nothing works, as others have said, put a high-quality filter on it (M1, RP, etc...), top it off regularly, and maybe change the filter once a year, or even two.

+1 I'd try the 20W-50 MaxLife...
Disagree: piston design problem not a wear issue. Run a std viscosity oil - no use taking a fuel consumption hit with glue like oils!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies.

I've done 4 ARX traetments (by the book) with NO functional improvement in oil consumption or mileage. I've also tried CD2, Rislone, MMO, Seafoam (including a piston soak) and a kerosene flush. I've wondered about Schaeffers #132 but can't find it here in Phoenix. I'm also wondering about Kreen, BG 109 and the GM piston soak product.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I wouldn't run a HDEO in a burner if you need to keep the catalyst operational. Run a weak addpack oil like MC 5-30 if little diff in the oil comsumption. Sounds like you have valve guide/seal wear.

If his cat was poisonable, it would already be toast. This is a "true myth".

You're asserting that 2/3 the amount of too much poison will kill the cat.

Gary_-Will you tell the Auto manufacturers and the Feds that, please! Actually I believe it is poison. Just like the MMT fuel octane boost deniability 10 or so years ago. Thats stuff gone.

I don't dispute that zinc and phosphorous is poisonous to a cat.

When is the last time you heard of a cat failure due to loss of cat efficiency? With SH oils? SJ? SL? Just when?

I had a FOGGER that got the oil changed probably every 4k. It had 180k on the OEM cat and had no trouble passing.

Take any SM ..that many of our members here will change out @ 3m/3k ..add up the pounds of zinc and phosphorous that will pass through the engine. Take someone with an SH/SJ/SL that changes it at 5k-7k ..which one passed more poundage of zinc and phosphorous through the engine?

It's POLICY. Platinum is a precious metal. It's OBVIOUS that, under current standards, they handle current and FORMER levels of zddp FINE.

What they may not do is maintain FUTURE REQUIREMENTS when that precious metal is in much higher demand and catalysts may not be affordable with the current content while maintaining current efficiency standards ..or are retired at much tighter efficiency standards to make their reclamation easier.

Do you catch my drift here? A given % of the zddp is going to volatilize in the usage process. All you're doing by lowing the zinc/phos levels is lowering the dosage. The same people will be changing their oil @ 3k/3m ....just like they did with SH, SJ, SL.

So where are all the poisoned cats? They're right there along side all the grenaded engines that are running 5w-20 to their deaths.

It's POLICY. You're reducing the dose of the zddp introduced into the rolling fleet ..without altering its frequency of introduction. It is much easier to control the primary source of the poison than it is to change people's habits.

Suppose the OP cuts his consumption in HALF with the use of a cat poisoning HDEO? How much less NEW zddp will be added to the engine over the same mileage??

I think you are doing it about right. The oil is probably more dirty because it's "using". 5K max oci with a filter change. Don't stick any more foreign objects in your engine.

FZ1,

That's the funny thing, I worry about contamination/breakdown of the oil but it doesn't get darker any faster than my 2 Toyotas that consume almost no oil between changes. That's part of the reason why I think the oil is pumping up into the combustion chamber and out the tailpipe rather than the rings being worn and demonstrating blow-by. I had a compression test a few years ago. I don't remember the numbers but they were consistent and reasonably high.

MERWIN: What happens when you go to something like a 5w-30? Can we assume that you've been there and done that?

If the consumption is no different, then there is no reason to use the heavier oils. Can we figure that you've rejected the lighter oils for good cause?

Sounds right. Just keep feeding it and don't forget about the $4500 for trading in a low mpg vehicle for a higher mpg vehicle.

Gary,

I have no special attraction to heavier oils. The Delo was a one time smoking deal so I bought quite a few jugs. Another thing that made it appear attractive is the desire to preserve the valve train (DOHC with shims) and what I hoped would be a good add pack for that. When the Delo runs out I plan to go lighter.

FZ1,

I really like the layout of the Trooper but replacement may be considered. The thing seems almost unstoppable (unless you forget to check the oil...) but it does only average 15 mpg around town. Combining that with the aging rubber/plastic & disappearing dealers (parts availability) makes a new truck seem like a practical consideration.

Quote:
Gary,

I have no special attraction to heavier oils. The Delo was a one time smoking deal so I bought quite a few jugs. Another thing that made it appear attractive is the desire to preserve the valve train (DOHC with shims) and what I hoped would be a good add pack for that. When the Delo runs out I plan to go lighter.

I can see no desire to service the valve train due to wear either. I'd spend more to avoid it than the service would cost (incremental affordability).

My gross error here is that I thought you evolved to heavier oils for a reason.

In light of that revelation ..you're poisoning your cat at a higher rate. You're poisoning it like you would have if you bought it new ..using the oils that were available at the time of its production.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back