Burgular Stopped At Gun Point

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sound is all screwy on this end, but one for the good guy with the gun!!
thumbsup2.gif

Scary sounding phone call, but the homeowner handled it well IMO.

Nice to see someone get what he deserved for breaking into someone's house.

We were laughing about this at work last week. Not the situation, which was quite serious, but the 911 operator's cavalier attitude about the whole thing.

I think he may have left for a cigarette halfway through. Seriously, what has to happen for a 911 operator to convey some sense of urgency. Better than someone loosing it I guess.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Seriously, what has to happen for a 911 operator to convey some sense of urgency. Better than someone loosing it I guess.

AFAIK, they're trained to stay calm no matter what. It helps keep the information flowing and prevent the situation from getting too heated.

Armed old timer comes home, catches burglar, and lives.

Usually, when ol'timers catch a burglar, we read about it in the paper as an assault or murder since many aren't armed. Too many crimes around here toward elderly senior citizens because they are easy targets.

Where are all the 'politically' correct members? They are quick to be opinionated. Facts here don't lie. Gun saved his life. Gun protected his property. 911 call was all but useless. Unknown police/sheriff response time. Previous burglaries unsolved. Criminal back on street awaiting trial.

Now, how long did the ol'timer wait for his local police 'backup'?

Anyone want to wager on how many 'priors' this loser thief had? How much money we'll spend on his trial/prison time, when most school budgets are broken?

BTW, I feel that the 'homeowner' is the most compassionate person around, and an educator too. He let the thief live, and taught him a lesson.

It's none of my business, but I wonder what this 68 year old guy was doing out Friday at 1 a.m. Chasing skirts down at the local pub, perhaps?

Also, I think he was too kind to the burglar.

I'm surprised the police did not arrest him for having a loaded gun in his car. We do not have carry permits in good old WI.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I'm surprised the police did not arrest him for having a loaded gun in his car. We do not have carry permits in good old WI.

at least in CA, you can have a gun and ammo in the car, just not in the same compartment. it does not take very long to load a couple rounds in the cips on my Glock 22.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I think he may have left for a cigarette halfway through. Seriously, what has to happen for a 911 operator to convey some sense of urgency. Better than someone loosing it I guess.

The people on the other end of the phone should have some serious training, but are really treated (by their employers) as telemarketers.

ten year ago, we came across a vehicle roll, half way (literally) between two country towns 100km apart...One couple on the scene had space blankets, and two lots of people (us and another) headed in opposite directions to raise help...no mobile phone coverage, and little radio (we tried a resting truckie, and couldn't raise anyone).

Got to Booroowa, and went to the (unmanned) Police Station...pressed button, and was put through to Sydney call centre. Stupid Cow on the other end stated that they could NOT initiate a response until I could provide an address, or a crossroads.

"If you are raising Boorowa, it's the Cowra Road. If you are raising Cowra, it's the Booroowa Road....I don't know the name"

Argued for 10 minutes, before she resignedly sighed and offered to call both and send them towards each other.

That was years ago.

Only the last month or so, a teenager on a Duke of Edinburgh Camp was seperated from the group, ran out of water, and made repeated phonecalls as he became dehydrated over a couple of days.

Phone went dead, and so did he.

Emergency services claimed that he could no provide an address, and was babbling incoherently at the end.

If they'd have simply logged it, they could have triangulated him.

Quote:
The alleged burglar, Michael J. Roehling, 23, made his initial appearance in Fond du Lac County Circuit Court on Tuesday on felony charges of burglary, theft and burglary/armed with a dangerous weapon. He remained in custody on a $1,000 bail.

You would get a higher bail for many lessor crimes. That has to be a misprint.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Johnny

at least in CA, you can have a gun and ammo in the car, just not in the same compartment. it does not take very long to load a couple rounds in the cips on my Glock 22.

Well that's worthless. You cannot load your gun fast enough from 2 different compartments when the threat happens. By the time you realize you're in trouble - you've got no time to load.

That's the point of the law.

I can defend myself with a firearm in Oz.

However, I have to retrieve the firearm from a locked safe, the bolt and ammunition from another locked compartment.

Use a firearm in self defence, and it immediately switches to "You went to the back room, unlocked three locks, unlocked the ammo case, assembled the firearm, loaded it, then used it"..."therefore you had ample time to escape".

In Ontario we have an exemption for farmers for proper firearm storage if they are having a predator problem.
Get a few chickens and I guarantee you'll have a predator problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back