burglar gets killed by samurai sword!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: expat
I'm not defending the perp, just the 20 something guy now has to live with the memory of killing a man with a sword. Plus the consequences of an investigation (and there should be one!) all over a few electronic gizmos.

A memory I'd savor for the rest of my life.
grin2.gif

It's not just about the physical property. It's the dream of how much better the world would be without those people, and the fulfillment of a tiny piece of that dream.

That said, it does sound like this guy went overboard considering all the witnesses present and the prior police notification.

Originally Posted By: rpn453
A memory I'd savor for the rest of my life.
grin2.gif

It's not just about the physical property. It's the dream of how much better the world would be without those people, and the fulfillment of a tiny piece of that dream.

I hope you realize that having such dreams, you sound like the people who you dream of killing.

There are four students living in the house. Four students did not confront the bad guy, just one, the student with the sword did.

I have no idea the fighting skills of any of the 4 or the one who died. I also have no idea the mental/physical state of the one who died - drugs, etc. Therefore, the one who died did so by his own risk taking. However, I do agree that an investigation should be started as there are always other possible reasons how this all went down, as suggested above.

Trajan,

If it is as cut & dry as you make it out to be, I don't think that you should have been charged either. Or, are you saying the guy should be arrested simply b/c you were? If so, remember states set their own laws for stuff like this.

Gary,

Great posts.

Originally Posted By: andyd
In MA, you could be in trouble. Not saying that is right, just saying is all.

(satire)

Commit a crime with a gun in MA and you will get TWO WEEKS. TWO WEEKS. NO IF's. NO AND's. NO BUT'S. TWO WEEKS. Think about it.

Defend yourself with a gun in MA and you will get TWENTY YEARS.

Cause and effect......don't wanna end up dead? Then don't break into my house. I'm not going to sit there and evaluate if killing my family is Step #4 in your plans.

If they think the same way, you'd better make sure you can make your mark faster than the person breaking in then.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
I hope you realize that having such dreams, you sound like the people who you dream of killing.

I'm comfortable with the knowledge that normal people may think I'm evil. I'd feel nothing but adrenaline and pleasure if I successfully killed someone in the process of defending myself.

Well, I'll say it's preferred to the shock and awe of being killed in the process of defending yourself.

from the snippets of news about this event, I think the sword wielder is in trouble. The action went down in an unattached garage, not a dwelling. The wielder was not trapped, he could have run away. It was not a kill or be killed situation. In MA , the kid is screwed. He shoulda dragged the carcass into his apartment.

The way I look at it is if there is someone in my house or garage robbing me, he is probably crazy. If I confront him with a gun or samauri sword, and he does exactly what I tell him to, then he might not be crazy, and I'll spare his life. If he doesn't comply, he is undoubtably crazy, and therefore, is an immediate threat to myself and my family. I'd drop him on the spot.

Nevada is one of the reasonable states with the castle doctrine. If someone is in your castle uninvited, you don't need a movement, weapon, or other contrivance to take action. By law, their mere presence assumes a valid threat, and deadly force is lawful to end that threat.

Would I kill someone over property? Probably not. Would I neutralize someone who didn't comply with my orders in this type of situation? In a heartbeat.

What if someone is drunk and enters your home by mistake? Would you still feel the same level of threat?

Maybe a home taser would be a good idea. You can use it to instantly disable an intruder and then check to see if he had bad intentions.

I think I could tell the difference from a drunk entering by mistake, and a criminal. I could also tell the difference between a trick-or-treater and a criminal. Keep coming up with extremely unlikely senarios. Won't change things.

You can have the home taser. I will use a .45 ACP with a laser aimpoint devise if I need something fast, and a shotgun loaded with buckshot if I have time to get it.

I had that happen. He really thought he knew where he was. He thought he knew me. I was ready to bash his head in, but just entertained him (as in playing along) until he sat down and passed out. If he was some wild eyed "whiskey head" ..I would have had no problem pummeling him. I'm sure I could have just pushed him outside, but that probably would have just sent him next door.

I simply called the cops ..they came and picked him up. They asked if I wanted to press charges. I said only if they wanted the extra paper work. He seemed harmless enough ..even for a "critter" of sorts. I figured that the guy already had enough pending issues and didn't seem all that much of a threat to society beyond a nuisance level. I don't know if they gave him a freebie or not (no fine, just 8hours in lockup) or the full $200+ deal.

Beanbag minigun. At least you can inflict some non-lethal damage. Then again, the taser thing could have the lab experiment element to it.

Dance!!

Moon walk!!

Bark like a dog!!

I recently got a pistol permit. Instruction is required for this now-a-days. The instructor was a very level headed guy. His take on the best home defense weapon was a 12 guage pump shotgun loaded with buck shot. Low velocity, deadly at close range. A very ominous sound when racking a shell. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
As for the castle doctrine. A garage isnt a castle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back