Bumper cover/Sorry if it's the wrong section

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've mentioned in a few posts I have a '00 cavalier (standard version). I was thinking of getting a stock Z24 bumper cover from a boneyard someday for the better (for oem) fog lights. I can't fit anything in the slots of the original cover without cutting.
frown.gif

Will the cover fit without a problem? The only modification we'd have to do if it does fit is getting a switch and wiring for it. Or would it be better to wire it to the low beam circuit?
21.gif

Thanks in advance.
Thanks

Mine's a 2000 already, so at least I have that going for me. I've got some other repairs to do to the car before I do a swap like this. I'm probably going to keep the car until "he" gives up the ghost. I got it new with 5 miles on it and have 110,000 on it now. Oil I change every 3,000 miles or 4,000. I don't have any desire to have another payment so soon after my wife's car gets paid off (in another 4 years?) so I'll just keep driving this one. Thanks for the info. I was not sure what years would be sufficient in making the change. Even if I wasn't 40 I'd have no desire to rice it.
15.gif

Bumper covers command oddly high prices as yards wait for insurance to pay for wrecks.

I cut my own bumper cover and saved.
wink.gif
pic

Hmmmm.... Looks like I'll be breaking out the tape measure. Nice job. My brother could guide me as he's done this sort of thing before.

I've been planning on doing this to mine, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. As long as the replacement bumper is from a 2000-2002, it should bolt up without issue.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Bumper covers command oddly high prices as yards wait for insurance to pay for wrecks.

I cut my own bumper cover and saved.
wink.gif
pic
I forgot to ask; what brand are the lights you put on?

^ Those are $20 walmart cheapies. They do have the advantage of being able to rotate in their mounts so you can have the filament oriented correctly even if the mount is sideways.

I looked for something with "better" optics... bigger reflector, though only 3 inches. Cut through the plastic in my bumper so they'd be protected smashing thru snowdrifts and over curbs etc.

Another mod worth considering is getting the little rectangle sealed beam headlights that late 80's GM trucks and camaros used, they look like fog lights but have a beam pattern suitable for (barely) driving alone with.

Last time when I was rear ended by a non-profit organization's car, their insurance gave me $1k for the bumper cover damage.

I went on craigslist and got a used bumper for $60, spend an afternoon swapping mine out, and sold my scratched up bumper cover for $30 back on craigslist. The buyer was restoring a car and would have to paint it anyways.

ebay also have pre-painted bumper cover for around $170. Last time I replaced my inlaw's bumper cheaper than the lousy paint job would have costed them in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back