Bullfrogs at the local market

Status
Not open for further replies.
They got them near the seafood in plastic bucket. The frogs are alive but immobile and stacked on top of each other. How come they don't hop away? Did they have their legs broken?

The frogs are drugged? Does that mean if I, G0D forbid! eat a frog platter, maybe have seconds, I'll be lethargic and just slump over in my chair?

that or they're just washouts from the Budweiser ad campaign.

".....I'll be lethargic and just slump over in my chair?"

well, for some of us no one would notice the difference....

By the way, if your Chinese friends ever want to make you eat frog pudding, pretend disgust but eat it bravely! It's just green pudding without any frog in it.

Photo from my Cajun Cookbook, showing field dreassed frog.

-

Try Steaming that blue crab there is nothing better. Just cover it with Old Bay seasoning and use a can of beer to make the steam.

As far as I know vendor don't "drug" the food they sell, it hurt the selling price.

What you see is most likely hibernation when they store the frog in cold storage before they are sold. I have seen them keeping about 10 in a basket/cage and then stack them in shipment.

Frog legs are the best parts, and yes, taste like chicken and fish hybrid.

That's the frog bucket in my local market.

-

On occasion I buy a frog and set it free at a pond in Marin county. There used to be no frogs a few years ago. Now I hear much ribbeting when I go there...

quote:

Uh, Mori, that is against the law and can cause great impact to the local eco-system.

I find the frogs' eco-bucket even less appropriate.
quote:

In florida people release their pet python and now they are growing as big as 13 feet, big enough to swollow everything including allegator.

13 feet tall people, who eat alligators, must be exterminated. I'm actually hoping for mutant frogs to eat people.

quote:

Sorry about my wording, the pythons are 13 feet, not the humans.

Whew. I won't have to cancel my trip to Florida after all.

FYI: bullfrogs, which were introduced some 130 yeard ago in California, have to a large degree wiped out the local redlegged frog population. These days, all frogs species are declining.

quote:

Mori. Is this Ranch 99?

No, it's just some Chinese supermarket on Irving Street in SF. I think most Chinese markets have frog buckets. In Chinatown you can buy live geese.

Frogs can't really swallow like humans. Their esophagus lacks peristalsis. Instead, frogs retract their huge eyes, which helps push prey down the esophagus.

Uh, Mori, that is against the law and can cause great impact to the local eco-system.

In florida people release their pet python and now they are growing as big as 13 feet, big enough to swollow everything including allegator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back