Bulletin No.14515B GM electrical issues recall

This recall notice affects my 2013 suburban. I have the RPO code JL1 controls as noted by the bulletin.
I have some of the symptoms listed such as check brake controller, loss of HVAC controls and display in which no buttons will work.

However, safecar.gov and mychevrolet.com says no active recalls on my vehicle.

It was in the dealer a few months ago for the airbag recall, but no mention of it at that time.

I'll call the dealer tomorrow to see if this recall has ever been done on my vehicl, but the symptoms of the recall are, or have been present.

What are my options here?
We're looking at getting an utra-light small travel trailer (
Thoughts?
Thanks

Quote from the bulletin.....

"Additionally, a small number of 2007-2012 model year vehicles such as 2008-2013 Chevrolet Avalanche, 2009-2012 Chevrolet Colorado, 2007-2013 Chevrolet Silverado, 2008-2014 Suburban and Tahoe, 2007-2013 GMC Sierra, 2008-2014 Yukon, 2009-2012 GMC Canyon; 2008-2009 HUMMER H2, 2009-2010 H3 and H3T; 2008-2009 Saturn VUE, and 2009 Outlook models may have been serviced with a chassis electronic module that could have internal contamination, causing an electrical short in the module.. If the module experiences an electrical short, the vehicle could display a check engine light, stall, or fail to start. If the vehicle experiences this condition and stalls while in motion, there could be an increased risk of a vehicle crash."

These vehicles could have been serviced with a faulty module, But were not built with one from the factory.....Basically your VIN is not involved in the recall but could have been serviced with a faulty module at a later date.

Wow! Skimmed right over that and missed that little nugget of info..

Thank you!

So, is there a chance GM will fix this?

Quote from the bulletin.....

"Additionally, a small number of 2007-2012 model year vehicles such as 2008-2013 Chevrolet Avalanche, 2009-2012 Chevrolet Colorado, 2007-2013 Chevrolet Silverado, 2008-2014 Suburban and Tahoe, 2007-2013 GMC Sierra, 2008-2014 Yukon, 2009-2012 GMC Canyon; 2008-2009 HUMMER H2, 2009-2010 H3 and H3T; 2008-2009 Saturn VUE, and 2009 Outlook models may have been serviced with a chassis electronic module that could have internal contamination, causing an electrical short in the module.. If the module experiences an electrical short, the vehicle could display a check engine light, stall, or fail to start. If the vehicle experiences this condition and stalls while in motion, there could be an increased risk of a vehicle crash."

These vehicles could have been serviced with a faulty module, But were not built with one from the factory.....Basically your VIN is not involved in the recall but could have been serviced with a faulty module at a later date.
I was involved in all that fiasco. At the time I was the quality electrical engineer at my GM plant. We absolutely built with these bad modules but we also did a good job capturing the ones that had the suspect modules. We had the suppliers checking everything and sending us certified good units. I am sure a few got out and that is why bulletins are issued. This is not a recall, just a bulletein like and FYI.

Ok, thanks for the edification.

If this vehicle indeed received a bad module as part of a recall, it stands to reason (in my mind anyway) that this vehicle should get another module.
Call it recall 1.1🤣

I quess it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thank you all for your replies.

I called a dealer, I gave them the buetin number and VIN, he said it "might" be covered but I would have to bring in the car for diagnostics and evaluation. If not, I assume I would pay for said diagnostic. He didn't sound very confident with comments like, "this is a weird bulletin... never seen this type... I'm not sure"

It appears the Chassis Electronic Control Module controls fuel pump pressure, brake controller and perhaps some other misc items.
It is about $170 from the dealer (cheaper online) and I am happy to replace this part myself.

However...
Does it require programming, or is it plug and play?

Thanks,
~C

I called a dealer, I gave them the buetin number and VIN, he said it "might" be covered but I would have to bring in the car for diagnostics and evaluation. If not, I assume I would pay for said diagnostic. He didn't sound very confident with comments like, "this is a weird bulletin... never seen this type... I'm not sure"

It appears the Chassis Electronic Control Module controls fuel pump pressure, brake controller and perhaps some other misc items.
It is about $170 from the dealer (cheaper online) and I am happy to replace this part myself.

However...
Does it require programming, or is it plug and play?

Thanks,
~C
It requires programming.

Back