Bull charges cyclists during California race

That cyclist is lucky. The bulls in Spain have very long horns and likely he would have been seriously gored. Pix from Pamplona. Worth seeing.

1645104619954.jpg

The spectators are supposed to yell "Olé" when the matador in a bullfight has performed a brilliant move. I don't think falling off a bicycle qualifies, unless meant ironically.

The bike saying is you don't have to be faster than the dog, just faster than your buddy. Only works if you're not alone. Another example of you can't fix stupid, and I ride a lot.

Has anyone heard from Scott/SLO town lately? :oops:
I'm alive and well, thanks! A pic from my Jan 22 ride, less than a mile from the house, the last uphill roller on my route back home.

Scott

PS That rider was stupid to go blasting past that big bovine.

IMG_6003.jpeg

I've looked up the rules in California and I believe that bull was required by law to give the cyclist 3 feet of clearance. That bull is lucky he wasn't cited.
On a more serious note, you probably heard about the 5 cyclists killed by a box truck in Nevada. They were legally travelling in the right lane (not on the very wide shoulder) on a 75 mph limit highway, slowly (major headwinds), behind their safety vehicle. The box truck driver had meth in his system (probably taken as a stimulant to stay awake) and was either asleep ot hypnotized at the wheel and ran into them.

While the truck driver was at fault, I can't shake the feeling these cyclists showed about the same amount of common sense as the 2nd rider in the video who charged the bull. My opinion only and apologies to those I offend in advance.

On a more serious note, you probably heard about the 5 cyclists killed by a box truck in Nevada. They were legally travelling in the right lane (not on the very wide shoulder) on a 75 mph limit highway, slowly (major headwinds), behind their safety vehicle.

You mentioned they weren't riding on the very wide shoulder implying they should have been. A couple of reasons for that, all of the dirt, rocks, glass, metal, etc gets swept off of the road onto the shoulder and with high pressure narrow road bike tires you get flats. Another reason for not riding the shoulder for these guys is they were drafting their support car to break the headwind likely following pretty closely and when you do that you can't see what's on the road surface and you're back to flats or even a crash on a piece of debris. This is a case where being in the right doesn't mean much when you're dead. The driver of the truck had an amount of meth in his system usually seen in overdose patients. I quit riding bikes on roads almost 15 years ago because of things like this. Cycling on roads is more dangerous than riding motorcycles on roads IMO.

It's one thing to get chased by a bull, totally stupid to ride directly at one standing on the road.

Yeah, the headline got it backward. This is cyclist charges bull, and the bull wins (what a surprise).
I am probably being insensitive, but that 2nd rider looks like a Darwin candidate. Doing stupid things has consequences. When you're riding a bike you gotta pay attention and make way for things that are bigger than you, especially large animals. I say this as an avid cyclist.

The spectators are supposed to yell "Olé" when the matador in a bullfight has performed a brilliant move. I don't think falling off a bicycle qualifies, unless meant ironically.

A bullfighter and the yelling is actually intentionally taunting the bull. And of course the idea is to tire out the bull enough that it's vulnerable to being lanced by a picador.

This guy slowed down but looked like he was still going to slam straight-on into the bull.

I've gone hiking and mountain biking on public parklands where there are cows. No way would they allow bulls to forage. They're just too ornery. Even the cows can get aggressive in some places.

Back