Bulk washer fluid at gas station

I was at a Holiday in Woodbury when I noticed that they had a new dispenser on the pump island selling bulk washer fluid. It looks like either a half-gallon or a gallon per dispense, $1.89 and $2.99, respectively, it's winterized to -20F, and it was substantially cheaper than the bottled blue stuff they were also selling. The machine took credit cards exclusively.

I didn't get a picture of it but it's an interesting idea; I would've tried it out if I had needed some. Has anyone used one of these before?
http://www.cleanshieldusa.com/Vending!

As an aside, the company that sells it is the same company doing the gas station rooftop tanks of the fluid in the squeegee reservoir. Our Kwik Trips and Holidays have those; they're connected to each reservoir and each has a valve for filling so the fluid for those is always nice and clean.

Sounds like an idea who's time is overdue. Price seems a little high IMO. After all you aren't buying the jug. Wonder what their profit margin is?

I guess the supplier and retailer need to make money.

Sounds like an idea who's time is overdue. Price seems a little high IMO. After all you aren't buying the jug. Wonder what their profit margin is?
Whatever it is, it's probably pretty steep (after the cost of setup is taken into consideration).

Living on the warm west coast, I honestly cannot remember the last time I bought a jug of the blue stuff.

I mix my own.

In a gallon milk container add 1/2 tsp ordinary dish washing soap, 8 oz. isopropyl alcohol 70% strength, a couple drops of blue food coloring and enough distilled water to fill the jug. If you live in a cold climate increase the amount of alcohol or substitute vinegar. Cheap vodka works too.

Frugal and does the job.

For 3 season road trips I buy the tablets you just drop in - eliminates buying and carrying liquids.

Hardcore winter if I were out - Id buy at the pump.

Reactions: JC1
Guess you're paying for the convenience of topping off washer fluid right while you're filling up, rather than going inside the station, buying a jug of basically the same stuff and getting stuck in line behind Bubba who wants a pack of smokes & scratch offs.

I'm a semi mechanic.
We get washer fluid concentrate in a 330 gallon tote at work that gets mixed with filtered water as it's dispensed. It uses a small nozzle. The tote has a hazmat placard on it which is required being flammable because of the alcohol content and weighing over 1001 pounds or more.

I've used it work on our service truck. I think I'd rather deal with it at home. I check the fluids in my cars while the vehicle is cold and add such fluids as needed. -20 washer fluid at Walmart is $1.78.

I'm a semi mechanic.
We get washer fluid concentrate in a 330 gallon tote at work that gets mixed with filtered water as it's dispensed. It uses a small nozzle. The tote has a hazmat placard on it which is required being flammable because of the alcohol content and weighing over 1001 pounds or more.

I've used it work on our service truck. I think I'd rather deal with it at home. I check the fluids in my cars while the vehicle is cold and add such fluids as needed. -20 washer fluid at Walmart is $1.78.
Agreed and Dollar Tree sells the winter blend for $1 for a half gallon.
Less to get old and go bad.

I mix my own.

In a gallon milk container add 1/2 tsp ordinary dish washing soap, 8 oz. isopropyl alcohol 70% strength, a couple drops of blue food coloring and enough distilled water to fill the jug. If you live in a cold climate increase the amount of alcohol or substitute vinegar. Cheap vodka works too.

Frugal and does the job.
8 oz. Isopropyl alcohol in a gallon of water will only lower the freezing point of water by about 5°F.

To get -20°F strength, you need a solution of 75% isopropyl alcohol / 25% water.

Reactions: JC1
I mix my own.

Frugal and does the job.
I fail to see how this is economical. Buying the alcohol, the distilled water and your already at or close to good washer fluid. It cost me $2 for 32 ounces rubbing alcohol and only 2.97 for the nice rain x fluid on the same trip. -20f fluid typically has 30-50% alcohol.

I had no idea their was good and bad washer fluid but of course California would ban it lol
True, our stuff only goes down to +32. There is some 0+ degree stuff on a overstock shelf somewhere at the local autozone, but that cannot be sold due to legal reasons. Most of the time, if I worry about it freezing over, I just toss in about half a quart of 91% alcohol. A gallon with about that much alcohol will get through most california winters.

Pretty cool! I usually sell my cars with the same fluid in the tank that came from the factory. Not a feature needed in Phoenix. :ROFLMAO:

True, our stuff only goes down to +32. There is some 0+ degree stuff on a overstock shelf somewhere at the local autozone, but that cannot be sold due to legal reasons. Most of the time, if I worry about it freezing over, I just toss in about half a quart of 91% alcohol. A gallon with about that much alcohol will get through most california winters.
That’s ridiculous it can’t be sold I’m so glad I don’t live there.

Back