Bulk vs Bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean by bulk?

Mobil 5000 (or any oil) is the same in a quart or a jug. But if you buy a 55 gallon drum of Mobil motor oil, it's not the same. Per the Mobil website, 5000 contains 16% more detergents than their bulk oil. By bulk, they mean an oil truck, or the barrel.

I'm not sure if Formula shell is the same in quart as it is by the truckload.

Mobil is referring to Mobil Drive Clean, which is an identical product to Exxon SuperFlo.

It's used as bulk by GM and Honda among others.

Originally Posted By: buster
Yes.

Not always.

Mopar oil by the quart is Mobil.
Mopar oil by the bulk is Shell.
Of course, the bankruptcy may have changed that fact.

Honda oil by the quart is made by Mobil and is like Exxon Superflo or Mobil bulk.

Honda oil from the bulk tank could be the same, but it could be any other bulk oil like Chevron or Formula Shell or whatever else the dealer feels like buying.

I guess the only answer is that it depends, and you'd have to ask at a dealer.

Anyone with jiffylube/vioc experience?

Same formulations same batches just different packaging. Castrol Syntec Bulk and bottle is the same. So is Pennzoil and the other major brands. Mobile offers a different product but it is not advertised nor labeled the same as the bottle shelf product Mobile 5000(yes I spelled it like a coastal alabama city ).

So yes.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Anyone with jiffylube/vioc experience?

I'm a tech at a VIOC and our bulk oil is identical to the valvoline bottled oil.

I don't trust bulk oil. Additives could settle at the bottom of the barrel. And quick lubes can contaminate it.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
I don't trust bulk oil. Additives could settle at the bottom of the barrel. And quick lubes can contaminate it.

That, and sometimes I have seen some watery foam come out of the oiling gun when the tank is very low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back