Bulges on three of four tires?

I had similar indentations in a set of goodyear vivas from Walmart and they were fine. My research back then led me to believe it was a common cosmetic issue sometimes seen on lower priced tires.

I had a set of cheapish (not the cheapest) Canadian tire house brand tires, that had similar indentations. They never had an issue with the indentations for the few years I ran them, just wet traction became atrocious.

I've seen it. No problems that I recall, but seriously... let's make our tires round and symmetric, MMMMKAY?

I’ve seen similar “waves” on Toyo and Goodyear too, the only brand I don’t see this on is Michelin or Conti. You’re OK.

Update:

The Senior Tech at the shop where I bought the tires said it was just the ply in the rubber and it was nothing to be concerned about. He explained that in the factory when the rubber is being cut that it will sometimes be cut in a manner where the 4-ply section ends up being predominantly exposed the way it did on my tires. He said Hankook “entry” level tires like I have are gonna show like that.

All in all, he nor the service writer tried to sell me new tires and said it was not an issue just as a previous poster had said as well.
X2.

That's exactly what they are: an overlap of the ply splices. EVERY tire will have at least one. It may be hard to find, but it's there.

It's more common in inexpensive tires as it takes a bit of care to make the ply splice properly (and small) so they are difficult to see.

Absolutely nothing to worry about. Replace the tires? Only if it bothers you.

Back