Bulged tire ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

I was getting my car ready for 800K km trip each way and I notice that my Michelin Premier AS has a bulge ... ( I'm pretty sure wife hit something )
I called my tire place and they happened to have a used tire same size model etc ...

They installed it but this tire has a lot more meat left then the others, any issues with that ?

Car is Infinit EX35 AWD, should I move the new tire to the back or its ok to be upfront ?

Thanks!

It's not ideal, especially on an AWD vehicle. However, if the weather looks good and in Spring/Summer driving, I doubt you would have much of a problem with it. That said, I'd probably look at getting replacement tires before the snow begins to fall again.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/the-lost-art-of-tire-shaving

crackmeup2.gif

Your manual should be able to tell you what is or isn't acceptable.

Assuming your existing 3 tires aren't completely bald (where you should have replaced all 4 anyway), odds are good that the new(used) tire isn't too far off. What I would do is measure the tread depth of all 4 tires and pair up tires as close as possible. I'd also put the deepest tread on the front right (if I remember right, that tire wears the most).

I bet there are people out there with your exact car that only replace pairs of tires at a time, and their differentials haven't blown up.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
800,000 km each way, where are you going??

Might as well get 4 new, you're going to need them.
crazy.gif

That's about twice the distance to the moon. I don't think the tires will last that long. But then again, there are no roads that go twice the distance to the moon, at least that I'm aware of...

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

crazy.gif

That's about twice the distance to the moon. I don't think the tires will last that long. But then again, there are no roads that go twice the distance to the moon, at least that I'm aware of...
They're Michelins! Of course they'll last that long!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

crazy.gif

They're Michelins! Of course they'll last that long!

Only if it's the DeLorean from Back to the Future where you don't need roads.

800,000 km also translates to about 20 times around the earth. So there and back translates to "Around the world 40 times" instead of "Around the world in 80 days"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back