Bulb's with a blue tint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

is it true the blubs with a blue tint get hotter than stock bulbs and they will burn the wiring for the headlight.

The reason many blue tint bulbs (especially the asian made ones found on ebay) melt the wires is because they draw too much wattage and the wires were not designed to sustain that load.

If you put an 85w bulb into a 55w harness, you get melting.
It's not that the blue tint makes them any hotter; it just so happens that many blue tint bulbs are #@$%! ones from Asia and exceed stock wattage requirements.

yes, been warning posters on BITOG not to play "engineer" if they want higher light output on their stock headlight.

While I can sympathise some #@$%! light output stock headlamps (my wifey's camry has the same problem too) but sticking in a 85W/100W bulb in a stock headlamp system that is only capable of 45/65W or 45/55W will cause trememdous heat and meltdown. What else? fire?

If you feel like your stock headlamp is too weak to shine the road ahead of you, install a proper set of Hella or Bosch driving lights with relay harness.

What nyr197 and Quest said. It's all about ampacity, not bulb color. Even with stock lamps voltage drop hurts. Relays at the lights and better wiring is a good first step. Use the stock wiring to drive the relays. Also keep in mind lenses are just as or more important than what bulbs you run.

Last edited:
Good info here guys.

The blue halogen bulbs are blue because of a tint on the bulb itself.

They burn the wiring because in most cases the blue bulbs are made to draw more wattage than stock.

The best bet is not to buy bulbs that draw more wattage than stock.

The blue bulbs may look neat but they output less light than the stock bulbs.

Any tinted bulb will be hotter because the tint filter absorbs certain wavelengths of light and converts them to heat. Often the bulbs will be slightly to severely overdriven to compensate for the loss of output.

Why anyone really wants blue bulbs is beyond me. In general, they're more expensive, produce less usable light, and burn out faster.

Quote:

Any tinted bulb will be hotter because the tint filter absorbs certain wavelengths of light and converts them to heat. Often the bulbs will be slightly to severely overdriven to compensate for the loss of output.

Why anyone really wants blue bulbs is beyond me. In general, they're more expensive, produce less usable light, and burn out faster.

Perfect, flawless description of the Sylvania SilverStars.

Good job.

But blue tinted bulbs are offered by almost all major vendors, except possibly GE. What is good for shareholders must override all ethical and moral considerations. Shame on them.

Richard.

Quote:

But blue tinted bulbs are offered by almost all major vendors, except possibly GE. What is good for shareholders must override all ethical and moral considerations. Shame on them.

Richard.

GE sell their "Super Blue" headlamps. They claim they're "whiter".

http://www.gelighting.com/na/home_lighting/ask_us/faq_car.htm

I don't really think the major manufacturers are doing anything particularly unethical. For the most part, these headlights work and don't burn out wiring harnesses like illegal aftermarket versions. They're also not as "blue" as some of the really outrageous versions. I don't think they make sense from a safety and value standpoint, but who am I to judge. I think they look odd, while some people think they look cool.

Right now I'm using Narva Rangerpower +50 H1 bulbs in my WRX. There's absolutely no tint and each one cost me about $11. I would recommend these to anyone looking to upgrade their H1 bulbs.

Quote:

Quote:

Perfect, flawless description of the Sylvania SilverStars.

Good job.

I second that.
bowdown2.gif
getdown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back