Built in oven-microwave combination recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our current house built in 1996 came with a built in combo oven/microwave stack in a 28 5/8 x 46 1/4" opening. The 'wave is about to fully croak (I've fixed it twice now) and the oven is no peach.

I don't expect much in reply because these things are a bit rare. We are not re-laying out the kitchen at this point. House goes up for sale in 4-5 years. Want something that looks nice and works nice and fits the opening boys and girls.

Prices run the $2500-3000 range........ouch........anything lower???

Example:

http://www.sears.com/ge-30inch-built-in-...directType=SRDT

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Our current house built in 1996 came with a built in combo oven/microwave stack in a 28 5/8 x 46 1/4" opening. The 'wave is about to fully croak (I've fixed it twice now) and the oven is no peach.

I don't expect much in reply because these things are a bit rare. We are not re-laying out the kitchen at this point. House goes up for sale in 4-5 years. Want something that looks nice and works nice and fits the opening boys and girls.

Prices run the $2500-3000 range........ouch........anything lower???

Example:

http://www.sears.com/ge-30inch-built-in-...directType=SRDT

My only comment is I once bought a GE Microwave for over the stove and it could do microwave, convection or IR. In the 3 or 4 years I had it I am not sure I ever used it for more than a microwave. So one can get (and pay for) too many options.

What is the use of that? secondary baking oven?

I'd be lost without some kind of cooktop.

Wouldn't it be better and cheaper to modify the opening to accept separate units, buy separate items that have the quality, price and performance you are interested in for the next 4-5 years and beyond, and then when / if you move, take the appliances with you?

You could even re-install the existing unit when you sell!

For a period like 4-5 years, I would rather be happy with the appliances I am using.

Originally Posted By: Rand
What is the use of that? secondary baking oven?

I'd be lost without some kind of cooktop.

You can have a combo convection and microwave up top or just a microwave. The beauty of such a set up is that it saves counter space which always is at a premium with my family. No cooktop? Not sure you understand. Our gas cooktop is in the island.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Wouldn't it be better and cheaper to modify the opening to accept separate units, buy separate items that have the quality, price and performance you are interested in for the next 4-5 years and beyond, and then when / if you move, take the appliances with you?

You could even re-install the existing unit when you sell!

For a period like 4-5 years, I would rather be happy with the appliances I am using.

I could possibly and had thought of something like that. Just an oven built in, with a shelf and a stand alone microwave oven above it. I would run a dedicated 120v line for the microwave. Problem there is marginal space, height wise. The shelf would need support. If I build an inner shelf out of steel it would be way thinner than wood. All said and done, not sure how much we would save, but we could keep the microwave.

We couldn't take the built-in oven - stays with house. And regardless we would get something we like for that time period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back