Built Ford Tough

Status
Not open for further replies.
I first fired up my Bronco that had sat for 7 years. The battery terminal cables didnt make good contacts so I put a jumper cable on them. I should have changed the old fluids but didnt get chance due to crazy commute. And it went ‘click..click..clack..prrrroommmhhh.’ That thing purrs like a kitten with over 200k miles and 1/4 tank of gas. I did check the oil afterward in the dark and it was on the mark but doesnt look or feel good due to 8+ years old.

The reason I had to fire it up because some rat neighbor complained to the county that I had junkers in the driveway and I got a citation to make corrections or face civil penalties. I think it is the old hag next door, who should move to a 65+ comm or back to puerto rico.

Anyway, I’ll do all fluid change this Sunday and start restoring it. It can take antique tag next year to avoid inspection scams.

351 Windsor is a beast.

Oil was 5W30 Castro premium synthetic on sale 9 years ago. Gas was treated with 2 bottles of fuel saver but gas cap we t missing and most of it evaporated. Bees formed a net right on the nozzle opening. Plenty of rust here and there but I cant tell it any of it was’t there 7-8 years ago. It will be my project as I take public transportation due to cost and time saving from 3.5 hrs to 1.5 hrs each way.

Last edited:
Ford and Mazda make [censored] new tranny occasionally when they share platform. I know people with the Mazda version of that CUV with [censored] tranny. I myself lost a 626 due to tranny at 101k miles, warranty was 100k but I cant remember the year implication.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
Ford and Mazda make [censored] new tranny occasionally when they share platform. I know people with the Mazda version of that CUV with [censored] tranny. I myself lost a 626 due to tranny at 101k miles, warranty was 100k but I cant remember the year implication.

the 626 had the cd4e which the older escapes had right? that thing was a turd too. i don't get why ford can't get their trannies straight because if it weren't for that their vehicles would be excellent.

Yes, for some reason Ford has a lot of automatic transmission problems. One rather recurring one is popping out of Park. It always seems to be related to various shift mechanisms, not sure why they can't get that right. The current recall is for the same 10-speed transmission shared by GM, but the General's shift mechanism seems fine.

I also always found Ford V-8's to be a little thirsty. The reason Ford killed the F-100 was because in the 70's their motors couldn't meet emissions requirements ... thus the F-150 which was a "heavy duty" vehicle class that was exempt. After a few years of development they were able to get the emissions down but by then the F-100 was no more.

Aside from that, they can be very reliable vehicles, especially the domestic trucks.

They don't make them like they used to! My current 2004 Escape with 142,000 miles still runs and shifts like when I first got it. I want a new one but I just know it is not going to be the same.Too many bells and whistles on the new ones to meet mileage and safety standards, too many electronic gizmos to cause trouble long term.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Fords are good! Well except for the 6F35 transmission in my Escape. LOL
Or the 5r55s/5r55w or the 4.0 sohc timing chain issues. I am sure all manufacturers have issues. What bothers me is how long it takes them to acknowledge the issue or if they ever due.

I also have a Ford Bronco project. It always fires right up even after sitting for several weeks outside in a bitter cold winter.
thumbsup2.gif

Do you have more than one junker in the driveway?

Maybe she's right? A 7-year-idle car points in only one direction.

Maybe you should thank her as you said yourself your 3.5 hour commute will be much shortened apparently by the woman complaining.

Congrats on it starting.

^ this

A guy up the block has 7 cars in his front yard. If he were beside me it wouldn't be 7 years before I'd drop a dime.

Can you put it in the back yard? Out of sight out of mind. More about the Bronc and pics are needed.

Must have been ethanol free gas in the tank!?

The 351 is a beast, definitely one Ford did right.

Now regarding the neighbor, do you live in city limits? You said county, but usually if you live out in the county it doesn't matter what a busy-body neighbor thinks of your property, because it's your property.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman

Now regarding the neighbor, do you live in city limits? You said county, but usually if you live out in the county it doesn't matter what a busy-body neighbor thinks of your property, because it's your property.

It depends on your local laws. In my area people can report others with a simple phone app. Once the local authorities check it out they take a good look at a lot of things. It’s a can of worms.

If I had a old car I would take measures to keep it covered and more discrete.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: SOHCman

It depends on your local laws. In my area people can report others with a simple phone app. Once the local authorities check it out they take a good look at a lot of things. It’s a can of worms.

If I had a old car I would take measures to keep it covered and more discrete.

Lol, now I get your "location"
lol.gif
Papers please!

Ford ONLY makes good trucks because they put money into it and rest of it is pure garbage.
Look at the Lincoln styling - the design team should be all fired.

The reason I had to fire it up because some rat neighbor complained to the county that I had junkers in the driveway and I got a citation to make corrections or face civil penalties. I think it is the old hag next door, who should move to a 65+ comm or back to Puerto Rico.

She's a US Citizen, and can live anywhere in the US that she wants.
Sounds like being right next door to you is the best location for her.

By the way, you sound like a racist.
You might want to work on that.

BC.

My Ranger is the only Ford product I have owned so far.

Pro : cheap to buy, cheap to repair
Con : have to repair often

I know, the Ranger is an old design that was barely updated over the years. Due to that, I expected a very solid vehicle. Instead it's decaying faster than any other vehicle I have owned.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
The reason I had to fire it up because some rat neighbor complained to the county that I had junkers in the driveway and I got a citation to make corrections or face civil penalties. I think it is the old hag next door, who should move to a 65+ comm or back to Puerto Rico.

She's a US Citizen, and can live anywhere in the US that she wants.
Sounds like being right next door to you is the best location for her.

By the way, you sound like a racist.
You might want to work on that.

BC.

You might have a point there. It's a free country and people are free to live anywhere they want. For people to feel that someone should got "back" somewhere implies that they don't belong where they are now. That in itself is un-American.

Originally Posted By: HouseTiger
Have an A4LD transmission in a 92 Explorer that keeps on going . . . and going . . . and going.

The A4LD isn't as bad as it's sometimes made out to be. Lots of them have lasted over 200K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back