"Built Ford Tough"

Status
Not open for further replies.
truck-nutz-hooters.jpg

A certain pick up that I won't name with a mythical toughness image would likely be a flatten pop can if had taken the tumbling that truck did. There wouldn't be enough left to drive off in.

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
not impressive

Coming from you.... shocking!
crazy2.gif

? any 4x4 car will do it. Look up video where WRX STI finished rally on 3 wheels. It is not just going down from pile of trash.
smile.gif
And we don't know how it got there, maybe they drove it there, not got thrown by tornado.
We all know how you love Fords. "troll spray pic"

That's right, we have no idea how it got there. But given that it was in a hurricane, it was probably put there by the hurricane!

I blew my transmission in my Mustang at the drag strip and drove it 200Km home with 1st 2nd and 5th. I don't think that makes it tough.

The same car went off a ravine at 80Km an hour, took out a few trees with the passenger side and landed on the trees it took down.

Had it flatbedded to my buddy's house to tear the engine out of it. We were able to drive it up from the back yard.

THAT makes it a tough car.

You have no idea if what this truck went through was comparable to your random example. However I'm betting the STI wasn't racing in a hurricane, and was it a ralley-trim car? This is a civilian-trim truck, not a freakin' Humvee.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a Ford fan, but the only ones trolling here are the guys with a Ford-hate-hard-on. Gotta get those little digs in whenever possible. So I make it a point to mention that you are trolling. Because that's exactly what you are doing. You don't contribute constructive commentary, you just drop steaming piles and leave. That is trolling.

can't find that video right now but:

So lets see, you are comparing RALLY RACE CARS to a CIVILIAN trim pick-up truck? And trying to draw some sort of conclusion from this?

Hold on, let me go get my Humvee and we'll compare it to a Tacoma........

Maybe we'll do some bullet proof glass comparisons. You can have the 9mm, I'll take the .50BMG. They are comparable rounds, used for the same purpose right?

smile.gif
I don't hate Ford. I don't buy car because of brand or because it is American made or because it is Asian or bla bla bla. I drive what I like or what fits current situation more. I had Altima because I liked how it looks, and more horses in it's class at that time. I had beated Accord, because I had not so much choice, and din't want to big loans again. I have Camry because of their reliability reputation,found it cheaper than other Camries, plus v6 and stick combo, which is rare for them. Next car--I really like new hatchback coming out. Focus ST with 2.0 Turbo, Chevy Sonic with 1.4 turbo, Veloster 2.0 Turbo. But probably next one will be Sonic, you can get one for 17k almost full packed with 6-speed and turbo version. Ford will be more horses,looks better, but more money. Maybe later.
My first post here was that it is not impressive, that's it. Because loosing one wheel is not that bad for 4x4 car. And gave example that they can even go high speeds. Why I mentioned STI?-because that what impressed me several years ago. And yes, That particular STI didn't race during hurricane, but neither that Ford raced at all
smile.gif
Apples and Oranges, but missing a wheel was common. Loeb actually lost second back wheel too.That truck just crawled down, with one wheel missing and body damage, as I said any 4x4 would do it, not specifically Fords merit.

Last edited:
And yes, That particular STI didn't race during hurricane, but neither that Ford raced at all
smile.gif
Apples and Oranges, but missing a wheel was common. Loeb actually lost second back wheel too.That truck just crawled down, with one wheel missing and body damage, as I said any 4x4 would do it, not specifically Fords merit.

Of course it didn't race, it's a regular pick-up! Completely different class of vehicle. So apples and oranges yes, which is why I questioned the logic of even mentioning it.

And yes, it did just crawl down. But it had of course been through a hurricane and was missing much of the body because of that. God knows how much air it saw. There is so much in the way of wiring and electronics in modern vehicles, that it would still function after that was impressive. That is what got me. My BMW would have told me to go pound sand. One of the 4-million computers it has would probably have been in that box side that went missing, LOL!

The brand name is irrelevant; any random car or truck might be equally likely to survive a one-in-a-million ride in a hurricane or equally likely to be left stranded by the most unlikely of roadside hazards. We own a fleet of pickups here where I work and its unreal the crazy ways the guys find to leave them at grading and construction sites, completely undriveable. The brand name doesn't matter.

Originally Posted By: css9450
The brand name is irrelevant; any random car or truck might be equally likely to survive a one-in-a-million ride in a hurricane or equally likely to be left stranded by the most unlikely of roadside hazards. We own a fleet of pickups here where I work and its unreal the crazy ways the guys find to leave them at grading and construction sites, completely undriveable. The brand name doesn't matter.

Very true. The fact it still works is impressive. Regardless of whether it was a Ford, Dodge or GM. Simply because of how bloody complicated they are.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
It seems to run better than my uncles 5.4 with a melted number 7 piston at 82k miles, I'll give it that.

I'll stick with Chevy thanks, after the straight 6 and 351 Ford hasn't build the most durable motors lately. The old power stroke was an abortion.

Ford didn't build the Powerstroke, International did. And the 7.3 was a very good engine. The 6.0L had issues.

The Modular engines are probably the longest lasting engine currently on the market. Their duty in taxi, Limo and police service is a testament to that.

Your post is long on hyperbole and short on fact.

The fact of the matter is a truck had a blown motor at 82k and the dealer wanted $6,500 to swap in a remain.

Engines fail. It is a fact of life. Has to do with the fact they are built and designed by people. However, one engine failing means nothing compared to the millions in service, many of which have racked up obscene mileage. In general, the Modular is a VERY long-lived engine family. Perhaps the longest due to where it is used. That doesn't mean none have had issues. It just means most don't.

I love how defensive Overkill gets when people start talking about Fords, or anything that he owns. It just makes me laugh out loud.

That's fine, we've got all kinds of laughter to go around here.

Some of you guys are just against American cars in general (like you). That's fine, that's your bias. There are others (like myself) who lean the other way. I'm not a big GM fan, but there are many Ford and Chrysler products that I like. I grew up around Ford vehicles and Ford engines. I know them well and I'm comfortable with them. I'm also pretty knowledgeable about their strengths..... And their shortcomings.

I don't come on here to mindlessly spew fanboyism about why brand (or country) A sucks, whilst waving a flag for another. While I have bias, I am also well aware of the faults of my favourite brands, something you guys seem to never want to own up to. As another poster on here once said: I can tell you FAR more problems about my brand than you can.

That said, I'm not a big fan of personal attacks or snide remarks about somebody or their persona when all they are trying to do is keep a discussion balanced. And that is usually a sign of a pretty weak argument when somebody starts stooping to that level. Keep that in mind while you are "laughing out loud".

sorry if ive ever come across as a fanboy, it might seem that way with some of the threads/posts ive made. funny thing is i owned an 08 F150 XLT 4x4 chrome package before the camry and would probably still have it but i decided to take advantage of the 0% for 60 months financing. awww bummer now im gonna start thinking about it now
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
The fact of the matter is a truck had a blown motor at 82k and the dealer wanted $6,500 to swap in a remain.

Wow, I guess that proves that Modulars are garbage.

I wonder what this proves then?
http://www.millionmilevan.com/

As already stated engines, transmissions, etc. fail. It's the nature of mass produced commodities, human error is always a factor. The simple truth of the matter is that the Modular engines are one of the longest lasting gasoline V8 engine families (by design) ever produced. This is proven by thousands of them racking up 300-400K miles with ease. Talk to a taxi service about the typical 4.6 lifespan sometime, I bet you'll be shocked.

Look at the lack of wear on this 500K engine, it was taken out by a failing chain guide or chain. Simply put, don't kid yourself as the LS engines have zero longevity advantage over the Modular and there's plenty of failed low-mileage 4.8s/5.3s/5.7s in the world, I've seen some of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back