Building a trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this should be humor or photos...

If you stack enough of the HF trailers together, do you get a 5k rating? Link

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's scary.
lol.gif

Some of the home made trailers I've seen on the road are pretty sketchy. My favorites are the pickup bed trailers that clearly have 4,000 lbs of gravel in them still using the 1/2 ton truck springs and axle.

I have the 4x8 and the 40x48 trailer. I was 100% planning on doing this with them. Until I found out that the smaller one has a narrower axle.

I'll probably have to sell them. I'm guessing having 4 trailers in the back yard won't go over well.

I have the 4x8 and like it quite a bit, actually. It's flimsy but it works great with the typical small FWD car--one will never load it, given its flimsiness, which means it'll never overload the typical FWD sedan. I've thought about getting the smaller size for pulling behind the lawn tractor and moving yard debris, but haven't gone that far yet.

Only downside is metric wheel bearings, but they're actually cheap if you buy them through HF.

Go to a good size bearing supply house & I bet you can find something better than a HF Chinese bearing .

Or maybe even W W Granger ?

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Go to a good size bearing supply house & I bet you can find something better than a HF Chinese bearing .

Or maybe even W W Granger ?

That's like, doing work or something. I put maybe a thousand miles per year onto mine--some years less than 20. Not worth the effort. I just keep a spare set on the shelf and when I think to pack the bearings, look to see if the seal held up.

I have been using it more lately so I probably should check 'em again--I feel like I just did this summer though, I should probably start a log book or something for that "vehicle" so as to track its maintenance. Finally replaced the 12 or so year old tires with some Carlise when they stopped holding air.

Originally Posted by Donald
Buy a heavy duty used trailer. I got a 12K GVW trailer for $1200. $50 in new lights and good to go.

What for? Can I tow it with my Camry?

Oh man I can see the tire scrub now. Imagine turning around in the cald de sac with that thing. I actually think it may flip over if you turn too sharp with nothing in it weighing it down

Originally Posted by supton
I have the 4x8 and like it quite a bit, actually. It's flimsy but it works great with the typical small FWD car--one will never load it, given its flimsiness, which means it'll never overload the typical FWD sedan. I've thought about getting the smaller size for pulling behind the lawn tractor and moving yard debris, but haven't gone that far yet.

Only downside is metric wheel bearings, but they're actually cheap if you buy them through HF.

How about a dust cover? I lost one of mine. Supposed to be 52mm. A 52mm one doesn't fit.

The bearings I have had good luck with ones from Amazon. Although I have found if you load the 1170 pound trailer with >2500 of cinder blocks and dirt, you will destroy the wheel bearings.

Dust cover? I reused mine. I think... but I remember something about like you mentioned, where it doesn't fit. I dimly recall taking one and using a pair of pliers to knurl it a bit, just distort it enough so that it'd make a press fit.

I haven't cooked any bearings yet, but after a few years water gets in and leaves its mark. I think that's the only reason why I've changed bearings.

One of these days I'm going to weld up the tilting feature as it is kinda loud when unloaded.

Originally Posted by supton
Dust cover? I reused mine. I think... but I remember something about like you mentioned, where it doesn't fit. I dimly recall taking one and using a pair of pliers to knurl it a bit, just distort it enough so that it'd make a press fit.

I haven't cooked any bearings yet, but after a few years water gets in and leaves its mark. I think that's the only reason why I've changed bearings.

One of these days I'm going to weld up the tilting feature as it is kinda loud when unloaded.

I actually used the tilt feature last week!

TAsjlVY

Nice. I went to go load my lawn tractor the other day, and couldn't remember how I got it into the trailer the first time--finally gave up and bought some loading ramps. Didn't feel like jerry rigging some sort of jack on the front of the trailer so as to do it right (or wrong as may be the case in anything jerry-rigged).

I have a 4x8 HF trailer but I just use it on the farm behind the ATV. I bought it used with no title so I can't use it on the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back