Buicks Made in China?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
A planning document given to lawmakers by General Motors reportedly shows that the Detroit-based automaker plans to ship 17,335 autos from China for sale in the U.S. in 2011. If GM succeeds in importing vehicles to the U.S. from China, it could be the first automaker to do so.

Chinese Made Buicks Coming To America

Do they actually make Buicks in China or are they just rebadged, restyled cars from other sources?

I'm not knocking the rebadging, I would rather have a Holden than a Buick any day.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
In light of the whole GM debacle, how in the world does this save union jobs at GM ???

I don't recall hearing where GM was interested in saving any jobs but their own.
GM has been building buicks in the ROC for years, it was only a matter of time before they came over here.

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
Hopefully they're just using Chinese labor, and not Chinese materials.

Some low end Buicks there are rebadged Daewoos. The higher end ones like the ones we have here are assembled there from US made and other parts.

China is still mainly used for assembly with foreign parts except for low tech items.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
In light of the whole GM debacle, how in the world does this save union jobs at GM ???

I don't recall hearing where GM was interested in saving any jobs but their own.
GM has been building buicks in the ROC for years, it was only a matter of time before they came over here.

Only three years. Unless you didn't actually mean ROC.

they're in large demand in CHINA . Want to live the " AMERICAN DREAM " . Wonder if they'll disassemble American made cars and examine them to make better Chinese made vehicles to compete here in the STATES . Just what we need . See more bailouts on the horizon .

Last edited:
Where's the link to that thread that showed crash results of Chinese cars on Youtube? We need to bring that out, now!

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: mpvue

Only three years. Unless you didn't actually mean ROC.

actually I meant PROC (people's republic of china) not Taiwan.
thanks.

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
Hopefully they're just using Chinese labor, and not Chinese materials.

ROFLMAO....yeah sure...they are importing materials from the US...
crackmeup2.gif

Who ever said they wanted to save union jobs? Oh yeah those guys in DC
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: CivicFan

China is still mainly used for assembly with foreign parts except for low tech items.

Boy have you got that wrong....China makes so much automotive content you wouldn't believe it. It is made by US & European supplier joint ventures.

Last edited:
Another knife in the back of the American worker. The bailouts were a good idea only if this country changed its insane trade policies at the same time. They won't do any long term good if they don't.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: CivicFan

Boy have you got that wrong....China makes so much automotive content you wouldn't believe it. It is made by US & European supplier joint ventures.

GM has been using Chinese built V6's for a while,they do a good job if closely supervised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back