Buick Roadmaster level ride control

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a very much original 1995 Roadmaster sedan with the Gran Touring Suspension air ride option. The compressor itself has a tendency to keep running after the engine is shut off. It will do this for a few minutes at most, and it runs every other minute. Does this indicate any impending issue?? There's no warning lamps on the dash for it nor does it feel like the car drives any different. The car delivers a somewhat firm ride but inner city Phoenix does not have smooth roads period.

The original owner's manual is also lacking information regarding the actual system. My main concern is when it would be time to service this system and what I need to look out for. It's a 20 year old car with 70k miles.

Sounds like the lines are dry-rotted, the level sensor is out of whack, or the pump needs a rebuild. GM used similar pumps on a number of cars, and rebuild guides are available on different forums.

For the level sensor, put a large load in the trunk and see if the rear end of the car raises itself. If it doesn't, it means the pump either needs a rebuild or there is air leaking somewhere.

I'm not sure what causes this, maybe a leak in the system somewhsomewhere but my grandparents caprice station wagon has this feature and they had the same issue a couple years back.

I'd start with the level sensor and also check for leaks.

The pump isn't designed for that kind of duty cycle and it will burn up...

Sometimes, a careful eye and ear can locate leaks in the lines, which can often be repaired. If it's something worse or more costly, check with Bilstein. Back in the day, they used to offer setups to retrofit a "normal" suspension for North American land yachts with air ride.

Yes, but depending where. My Town Car had a leaking line. Some copper line was spliced in and it cost me $50. Of course, I was very lucky and was already getting contingency plans in place.

If it's something serious, retrofitting a normal suspension is commonly done, and cheaper than an actual fix to original working order. There were many taxis up here with air ride suspensions, and there were probably only one or two original air ride suspensions left functioning in the whole city.

Honestly, fixing it would cost more than the car is worth. Although if its in otherwise good condition it may be worth it to retrofit a non air line setup into the car.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Honestly, fixing it would cost more than the car is worth. Although if its in otherwise good condition it may be worth it to retrofit a non air line setup into the car.

Wow, it's obvious you guys knocking this system have never seen, driven, or worked on one. Very easy and cheap.

First, pull the fuse marked ALC (auto level control). That will keep it from cycling. You can drive this way with no ill effects unless your shocks are totally shot. The air lines are simple and common nylon or plastic available anywhere. The compressor has been used by GM on many models for at least 20 years, same for the level control. Usually a line fix or level control adjustment will do it. You know the compressor works. Might need new air shocks or replace with regular shocks if ALC is not needed.

A FSM is best but there are several GM forums that will assist you.

Addendum:

On your car it is probably marked ELC - Electronic Level Control - same thing.

Underhood fuse box.

Last edited:
I would often find air shocks that are leaking. At one time you could only get OEM units, but eventually Monroe created aftermarket ones at a much lower price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back