Buffalo Bills Player Collapses on Field After Play, Given CPR and O2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson_Slugger

$50 Site Donor 2022
Bills Safety Damar Hamlin made a tackle and then stands up and immediately collapsed. He's given CPR on field for several minutes then taken directly to the hospital in an ambulance. Game is postponed as of now:

The hit seemed pretty innocuous and both teams are in the locker rooms awaiting news...

Local source (reporter for WLW on Twitter) states he was administered an AED in the ambulance, along with oxygen, they took him to UC Hospital, he has a pulse, but is not breathing on his own. It didn’t look football related, he stood up after making a tackle, and just collapsed.

My thought is it wasn't really related to the play, but some underlying health issue. That makes the most sense at least. The play wasn't really anything out of the ordinary, it looked.

I'm worried with the way he dropped and the need of CPR potential issue of CNS compromised....possibly a bone fragment? Pure speculation and I hope the kid is able to recover. Really is such a serious thing and unprecedented. Prayers for him and his family. Thank God they have a Level 1 trauma center not far away.

My thought is it wasn't really related to the play, but some underlying health issue. That makes the most sense at least. The play wasn't really anything out of the ordinary, it looked.

He got socked in the chest if you look closely, definitely related but unexpectedly bad blow likely to the heart. But who knows....

Scary stuff. I wonder if it was commotio cordis, when the heart stops after a hit in the area. Fortunately they had trainers and paramedics right there. Hope he recovers.

Feb 11, 2020 I was sitting at ice level when the Anaheim Ducks hosted the St. Louis Blues.

Jay Boumester skated by, finished his shift and skated to the bench for a TV timeout. He collapsed on the bench and technically died. I remember it like it was yesterday.

It was chaos for a little bit but the NHL has a rule, just for this, that mandates doctors must be within 75 feet from the benches for every game. They rushed to his side and started CPR but they had the paddles ready. The revived him and he was transported to UCI Medical Center. He later retired.

The sound of silence in the building was amazing. Players just don't go into cardiac arrest but it happened. Your first reaction was, "What's happening?" to "Oh my god!"

I have a work association (vague on purpose) who works security at Honda Center and he was at the Blues tunnel when it happened. He told me that they train for this and in the after action review, everyone received high marks and were found to be without fault.

It's freaky to watch something like that happen.

I hope the Bills player survives and recovers.

This happened to Chuck Hughes of the Detroit Lions back in 1971, in a game against the Chicago Bears. He got hit, got up, started walking back to the huddle, and dropped dead on the field. The game went on. Let's hope this guy makes it. Rough sport.

Extremely rare in a game like American football because of the stoppage between plays
Tackles at the NFL level are more violent than we can imagine. My wife is a nurse and our daughter's boyfriend is a medical student and they speculated either commotio cordis or his windpipe got crushed. Both could explain why he got up initially (adrenaline) before his body realized something wasn't right. He didn't drop to the ground like "I don't feel good", he fell backwards, unconscious.

+1

Extremely rare in a game like American football because of the stoppage between plays. I would not be surprised if Hamlin has an undiagnosed heart condition. Just a freak occurrence.
Agree, undiagnosed condition, even if it was from the impact that triggered it.
I suspect being he is only 24 its an electrical malfunction rather than plumbing. Ive dealt with both on a minor before it became major condition.
We tend to think as a heart attack as a blockage and a cardiologist will take care of the blockage (plumbing issue), many times this is very easy to fix though you will have a lifetime of controlling build up in your veins.

That is true in many cases, however the other side of the heart function is the electrical side and can be just as dangerous and to me much more dangerous, something many dont know about if they haven't been through it.
The electrical side of your heart is really not much different than a spark plug and a spark plug wire. If anything happens and unlike plumbing it can be a WHOLE range of things. The heart muscle doesnt get a signal that makes it beat. Is does have believe it or not a back up system incase and in many cases in-between extremes a whole range of things can go wrong with (much like a car) the timing between all the heart nodes (spark plugs) that send the electrical impulses to each area of the heart.
It's a very interesting organ, I wish I didnt party so much in school, I find the field fascinating> now instead I learned first hand about both issues on myself.

With this said, I am no expert but think what I posted is pretty correct. Also up to 50% of the population has electrical (misfires) heart rhythm disorders at one point or another, most people dont even know it as its minor and not a concern. Others know it oh so well as/if it gets more severe and its a scary feeling, good news is much of this is fixable but there are so many variables you need to be persistent with your doctors until you are satisfied because like a spark plug misfire, it doesnt always happen all the time, like when you bring your car to get serviced, its hard to diagnose if it isnt happening at that exact time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back