Budget Tires For a Kia Soul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay guys, here is the situation, I have unfortunately come into some hard times because of Major Health expenses recently. I was hoping my tires would last me 6 months until I got my bonus from my company, but they won't. So I need to get 4 new tires out the door for under $400 dollars. I have researched my options and they are the following.

Tire Size 215/55R17

1. Nankang SP-9 Cross Sport Tires. (They seem to get pretty good reviews)
2. Douglas Performance All Season From Walmart. (Made by GoodYear in USA, but mixed reviews)
3. Sentury Tires from Discount Tires. (Seems Okayish Chinese brand, mixed reviews)
4. Ohtsu FP7000 (Sub of Falken Tires? Decent reviews too)

Before anyone says anything, I agree you should never skimp on Tires, or Brakes. I just need them to last 6 months, and than I'll buy some good quality Cooper Tires. Opinion, ideas?

We have the Sentry's on my wife's Scion, and my previous Hyundai.

They have been a good tire, quiet.

I believe that ours are Taiwan made, and they seem very similar to a Falken tire.

I buy nothing but Discount Tire deals because they stand behind what they sell, and I've never had a car worthy of new Michelins.

I'd go with the known tire made by Goodyear, in the US.

The others are a throw of the dice.

I put a set of the Douglas tires on a beater that I had, they did better than I expected, and were still on it when I sold the car. Also put a set on a higher mileage Subaru Outback.

I bought some Ohtsus a couple of years ago. I was impressed with them.

Before Goodyear 's Nov price increase, I picked up qty 4 WeatherReady @Tireack DE warehouse for $432 -Lexus 2009. Included GY $200 rebate and $40 pickup discount.

I am very surprised that I was able to pickup GYs premier all season, three peak mountain snow flake tire for near Chinese tire prices. GY is not doing well and they are discounted heavily.

GY is doing a 2020 rebate for $150 if u use GY credit card.

Total 4 215/55R17 Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady In Stock $165.99 $663.96 Tire Rack Road Hazard Protection Included ($64.32 value. Two-year coverage.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Naomi
Before anyone says anything, I agree you should never skimp on Tires, or Brakes. I just need them to last 6 months, and than I'll buy some good quality Cooper Tires. Opinion, ideas?
Used from the junkyard. Why buy new when you need them for six months? Just get a worn set that will last until June.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by Naomi
Used from the junkyard. Why buy new when you need them for six months? Just get a worn set that will last until June.

Or check and see if DT has some used tires for sale.

I don't know why a sane person would ever buy 4 new tires, then get another new set of tires 6 months down the road..? That sounds like a colossal waste of money to me... I mean Chinese tires aren't ideal, but they're certainly not bad enough to throw $400 down the toilet. Will you get top notch performance and a Cadillac ride? Probably not, but you're going to get tires that are just fine and worth keeping if you do your homework. Quality doesn't have to cost money, but it takes time and research to make a good purchase decision, which is what you're doing!

Personally, out of the first page/low cost options on Discount Tire Direct, I'd probably steer toward (lame pun intended) Kumho Solus TA31 or one of the two Nexen options.

If you must go cheaper than that, read reviews thoroughly (preferably across multiple online tire dealers), choose one and hope for the best. They will all probably be reasonably decent tires-- it's like top shelf liquor... It's better, costs more, but the cheap [censored] still gets the job done. Save yourself some money and skip the "quality Coopers" 6 months down the road.

Look at Hercules. They're owned by Cooper and they make a decent tire for a cheaper price.

You can usually get some Kumhos or Hankooks for near the price of the Chinese garbage tires, too, and they're way better.

Additionally, there are always people on CL/Kijiji/whatever who are selling their old snow tires that have one season left in them. That would be perfect as you could save on mounting.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
I don't know why a sane person would ever buy 4 new tires, then get another new set of tires 6 months down the road..? That sounds like a colossal waste of money to me...

+1 to this.

I have been there so I know what the OP is talking about. I went with Fuzion touring ($78/tire for 205/55-16). I felt like they were better for the price for the first 3 years (less than 4000 miles/year of city driving) even in snow but after that, the performance went downhill pretty fast. If I had Walmart nearby I would go with General Exclaim HPX. They also have Goodyear Viva, which is cheaper but not as good as General Exclaim HPX. If you go through the other tire threads here General's RT43 is very well regarded here. General replied to my difference between the 2 query that, RT43 and HPX are similar (whatever that may mean to them), except one is Walmart only.

Mr Tire is offering $300 on Goodyear WeatherReady- in Pa they are $182 per tire last day is Jan 6, 2020. Open the GY credit card account and pay it off in 31 day. The tires rank #2 in TireRack surveys and I can confirm they are awesome tires.

Total is $428 before taxes and mounting. Checkout tire barn in Indianapolis.

https://www.mrtire.com/promotion/?id=340

https://www.tirebarn.com/tire-search/?ts-method=vehicle&ts-tireBrand=&ts-year=2009&ts-make=Lexus&ts-model=ES350&ts-option=Base&ts-tireSize=215%2F55R17

Last edited:
at DTD
Milestar MS932 Sport $59 each
Nexen Tire N Priz AH5 $70 each

there are some others but you missed all the seasonal tire deals.

walmart has quite a few budget deals.

you can easily get some quality tires for around $400 out the door.

Stay away from any brands you never heard of.. some are ok for budget tires

such as milestar.

since you need snow traction make sure whatever you pick has decent siping .. if it looks like a racing slick with grooves cut into it..
it will be terrible in the winter.

The Ohtsu FP7000 are the same as the old Falken Ziex 329 which are terrible in snow for Indiana. Out of the ones you listed, the Douglas seems to be the best bang for the buck.

I would consider the Starfire Solarus AS from Pepboys for $64/each. They're made in the USA by Cooper Tires.

Starfire Solarus AS 215/55R17

Last edited:
welcome2.gif

Out of those 4, Douglas would be my choice
smile.gif

Great luck with my Wally only General Exclaim HPX on my '17 Soul+. Better than Walmart's Goodyear/Kelly/Douglas line IMO. Can't imagine throwing a tire like this away after a few months, but to each their own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back