Budget rent a car - Odd policy to get more $$$?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rent cars quite frequently, therefore, I get really good rates on rentals. However, I stumbled across something last night that I had never seen before, and had to nearly throw a fit to get changed.

Yesterday, at 8am, I rented a '07 Charger (fully loaded with leather, no less), to make a quick 300 mile trip. Sure, I could have taken the Silverado, but I was in a mood to drive somethig a little different. The daily rate that I was quoted was $29. 10 cents a mile to drive someone else's car? Sure!

I decided to go ahead and return the car last night, so I wouldn't have to deal with it today.

Filled it with gas and returned it. While walking back to my truck, I glanced at the receipt. Bottom line was that I had been charged $55.00 for the rental. Whoops. I don't think so.
nono.gif

Walked back in and informed the agent that I had been overcharged by quite a bit. The agent reviewed the paperwork and told me that I hadn't, that I had been charged an HOURLY rate for 13 hours, instead of a DAILY rate. Since I had returned the car after only 13 hours, it wasn't considered a day.
dunno.gif

Again, I don't think so. After the agent told me that there was nothing he could do about it, I grabbed my cell phone and asked for Budget's Customer Service phone number, while telling him how many times a year that I rent cars from them. At that point, he called someone else over to see what could be done.

After 2 minutes, the two of them were able to "correct" my rate, and charge me the $29 that I had been originally quoted.

As it was pointed out to me, on the rental contract, it clearly stated that my $29 rate was for a minimum of "1 day". I understood that. However, it never occurred to me that 13 hours wouldn't be considered as also being "1 day".
pat2.gif

The good part? I still got 22.5 miles to the gallon, even with a hemi under the hood of that bad boy. That's about what I would have gotten with my Silverado as well, so that was a wash.
cool.gif

Sure doesn't make sense... wouldn't they rather get it back ASAP, so they can turn it around and rent it to someone else..

Even if there is a higher hourly rate for very short term rentals -- to cover the fixed costs for cleaning, etc., seems like it ought to max at $29.
They'd probably charge you 2 days if you return it at 25 hours. Geez..

The only thing that I can figure out, is that they're trying to get business people on this.

Consider this. Someone on a business trip flies in at 9am, rents the car, drives into the city and attends a few meetings, goes out to dinner with some clients, returns the car 10 hours later, then catches a plane back home.

That way, they're going to collect more on the hourly rate than on a daily rate. Just like they tried to do to me.

And since the business guy isn't paying the bill... he could care less what the car cost.

Does that make any sense?

The hourly rate should only be applied after the 25th hour if the rental agreement is for 1 day...they need to do a serious review of their business rules.

They were SO CLOSE to getting you! Oh well, win some, lose some. "Nothing I can do about it" can sound pretty terminal to some people.

I'm a every week business traveler and rent over 50+ times a year. (Some weeks I fly to multiple cities and rent a car each city). I've seen this before and while it makes no sense, it's just how their computers are programmed and the people who do that don't rent cars for a living. However, want to see ugly pricing changes? Just try to return a weekly rental a day early! Still, they always correct it when pushed, you just have to be on your guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back