Buddy blew $30k on a used BMW X5, it's sludged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have another friend who wanted to buy a used X5, so I warned him about the 15k service intervals on these machines. I explained how low miles = short trips + long intervals = sludge. So I was alarmed when my GC-guzzling neighbour traded his pampered R32 for the X5. I told him, "pop the hood". It was thick reddish sludge on the filler cap, as far as I could press my finger into the valve cover and especially on the dipstick, for 6 inches up. He told me "it had oil service at 10k"...the whole "I checked into it and found ONLY what I was looking for" mentality. So, the kicker is the vehicle is a '03, only 38k...he spent $30k on it and it's sludged.

We here have seen the examples of 15k intervals on BMW "Castrol" (like it says on the filler cap):

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008933

Anyway, he's ordering ARX (8q sump= 2 bottles) and I'm stocking up on Delvac 1300S...maybe 3 changes this summer will get the engine normalized. I'll report as best as I can, but won't be removing any valve covers. I will take pics of the filters, they are canister type.

Another note, the dealer (where this guys spend a MINT) told him the oil was "done", although I found it black and low.
rolleyes.gif
Kinda sad.
frown.gif

Your buddy will pay for his stupidity, but it sounds as if he's got enough money to get away with it.

Oh well, at least he's got you as his neighbor.
smile.gif

Wow..this would be the perfect test bed for Auto RX...Tony and i exchanged "opinions", he having the belief that it works, me being a bit skeptical.

Before and after compression tests to evaluate if the rings are "unstuck"...

before and after pics of the valve covers/valve train...

recording oil consumption before/after Auto RX treatment...

Subjective findings such as if it drives "better", runs "smoother"...etc...

Is that open minded enough Tony??
tongue.gif

Just IMHO, YMMV
darrell
sin city

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
... So I was alarmed when my GC-guzzling neighbour traded his pampered R32 for the X5...So, the kicker is the vehicle is a '03, only 38k...he spent $30k on it and it's sludged...

Dealer: 2

Neighbor: -1

nono.gif
freak2.gif

Are you saying that this guy traded his Volkswagen .:R32 for a BMW X series?

I'm sorry but I hope that he wallows in his mess.

The Ultimate Driving Machine,,,, INDEED!!

PS: the BMW oils do seem to leave red deposits on the oil cap and plastic valve covers for some reason. It doesn't mean that the metal parts are contaminated. I removed my valve cover on my 2.5 liter I-6 just to see how the metal looked when I was having problems removing the deposits from the plastic pieces. The metal was spotless.

Did he really trade his R32? UGGHHHH

Sorry guys, the R32 was a pos. I would have taken it off-lease if it was a good car, but I think a used TT with a chip is a better, cheaper, car.

AJ,,, bite your tongue!! The "R" was my dream car for a brief period of time.

Truthfully, after a test drive I simply found too many nit picky things that I couldn't accept in a $30,000 car. I am still hoping to pick up a .:R32 with a few miles on the odo but I'll be saving the depreciation to make it worth while. Now if I can just find one that hasn't been molested by youthful ingenuity.

AudiJunki, Convince him to use Lube Control with what ever oil change inteval he selects! The LC will go a long way to preventing any repeat of what happened! It will also continue to clean out this engine!

I don't think oil had anything to do with it, neither did long OCI. Like it was mentioned before BMW synthetic leaves red deposit on the cap and valve covers but it's not sludge. If he got 3.0 I6 (my guess looking at the price) it would be highly unusual to find sludge in this engine, 4.4 V8 is more prone to sludge and there are few documented cases on bimmer boards.

Coolant leak you mentioned is likely the cause of this mess. At 38K miles he's still under original warranty so he's lucky. BTW, is it a CPO car?

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
I have another friend who wanted to buy a used X5, so I warned him about the 15k service intervals on these machines. I explained how low miles = short trips + long intervals = sludge. So I was alarmed when my GC-guzzling neighbour traded his pampered R32 for the X5. I told him, "pop the hood". It was thick reddish sludge on the filler cap, as far as I could press my finger into the valve cover and especially on the dipstick, for 6 inches up. He told me "it had oil service at 10k"...the whole "I checked into it and found ONLY what I was looking for" mentality. So, the kicker is the vehicle is a '03, only 38k...he spent $30k on it and it's sludged.

We here have seen the examples of 15k intervals on BMW "Castrol" (like it says on the filler cap):

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008933

Anyway, he's ordering ARX (8q sump= 2 bottles) and I'm stocking up on Delvac 1300S...maybe 3 changes this summer will get the engine normalized. I'll report as best as I can, but won't be removing any valve covers. I will take pics of the filters, they are canister type.

Another note, the dealer (where this guys spend a MINT) told him the oil was "done", although I found it black and low.
rolleyes.gif
Kinda sad.
frown.gif

HEY, its 3 bottles.

X5 with the 3L I-6 has a 7.5 quart sump.

2oz/quart, so 15 ounces for each treatment, 30 ounces for two treatments.

12 ounces per bottle!

X5 with the 4.4L has a 8.5 quart sump.

2oz/quart, so 17 ounces for each treatment, 34 ounces for two treatments.

Michael

18oz for the 1st and whatever is left for the 2nd, like 6oz for follow-up. He brought home a loaner 2002 325i, only 17k and it had sludge too, only 1/2 as much though.

Not all these BMW on the OLM suffer from sludge.I just got an 03 325i that's only been serviced using the BMW OLM and it's sparkling clean on the inside.

BTW,BMW recommends the oil be changed yearly regardless of the OLM indicates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back