Bubbles in oil filter 2003 Taurus Vulcan engine

Maybe I've just never noticed this before on any of my other cars: I recently bought a 2003 Taurus/Vulcan engine and when I went to change the very dirty oil noticed bubbles on the "top" of the filter - that is: the side that's open to the engine. Yes, I drained out the oil from the plug on the bottom of the pan before I unscrewed the filter. Any ideas if that's a concern? There doesn't seem to be discoloration (like water in the oil).

If they aren't on the dipstick then I am not following.

After the oil has flowed out of the engine, you notice bubbling in the catch pan, is that what you are saying?

And on a Ford 3.0?

If they aren't on the dipstick then I am not following.

After the oil has flowed out of the engine, you notice bubbling in the catch pan, is that what you are saying?

And on a Ford 3.0?
No, when I unscrew the filter, I hold it in the "up" position - in the position where the oil won't pour out of it - and I notice there are bubbles in 3 or so of the holes around the circumference ( for lack of a better word), in other words not the center hole. I've never notice this before on other cars while changing the oil - or perhaps I've just never noticed.
As far as the oil in the catch pan: I have a catch pan with the hole in the middle, so the oil drains down into the pan below that. I couldn't see what that oil looks like because it drained into the pan underneath - and then that's got the drain spout on the side which I empty into 5 gallon gas can.

Try to get a sample from that drain pain into a clean jar or something with a lid. Give it a shake. See if bubbles appear.

If so I would guess it got contaminated by something. Run your new oil for a short interval and change it again.

Did you buy this car off a lot or was it a private sale?

Try to get a sample from that drain pain into a clean jar or something with a lid. Give it a shake. See if bubbles appear.

If so I would guess it got contaminated by something. Run your new oil for a short interval and change it again.

Did you buy this car off a lot or was it a private sale?
I bought it from a private sale. The oil is already in the 5 gallon can with other oil. I will see what happens when I change the oil again. Thanks for your advice.
Have you ever noticed this "phenomenon"?

I bought it from a private sale. The oil is already in the 5 gallon can with other oil. I will see what happens when I change the oil again. Thanks for your advice.
Have you ever noticed this "phenomenon"?

No I haven’t nor have I heard of it before. Hopefully it was a one time thing. Maybe the previous owner had a additive in the oil.

Back