Bryant furnace part warranty, can I DIY without paying for labor?

So my furnace is a Bryant 80 plus, 312JAV model, throwing a code 32, the inducer fan is humming and not spinning (voltage between white and black wire is 120V). Based on what I checked it is made in 2013 so in California it is still within the 10 year parts warranty period, regardless of whether the prior owner / purchaser register it or not.

I took the assembly out and check it, there is a black burnt out mark on the white wire part of the 3 pin connector, the motor seems to have a spot that's slightly binding, and the squirrel cage fan seems to look good with no corrosion or lost blade. The motor is a Jakel J238-100-10110, 2 speed motors.

Can I just ask them to send me a replacement inducer or do I have to pay labor to have a licensed pro install it? The motor is around $130 new (Jakel, not a no name brand), so installation cost from a professional will likely exceed that if warranty does not cover labor.

They may send it to you, but if it also fails you'll have to show that it was installed by a "Qualified" person, if you can demonstrate such qualification I'd say go ahead, but if not and it fails the next one may be on you.

They may send it to you, but if it also fails you'll have to show that it was installed by a "Qualified" person, if you can demonstrate such qualification I'd say go ahead, but if not and it fails the next one may be on you.
Do they need to charge my credit card first and then send them the old one? or send them the bad one and let them check?

You have to be a licensed contractor to be able to get the part from the local supply house, even so some supply houses charge a certain fee if the equipment wasnt purchased from them, theres also warranty paperwork you have to fill out where they do ask for the contractor that installed it. Your best bet is to pay the $130 and get it new.

I doubt they will. They will be concerned that you will do more damage replacing it and they would need to cover that also. Often they say something "warranty is void if a repair is done by a non factory authorized repairman".

I would if I were Bryant.

Do they need to charge my credit card first and then send them the old one? or send them the bad one and let them check?
They'll charge you the full amount and then give you a credit when they receive the core or you can send in the core and then thay'll send you the new discounted one, but by the time you add all the costs if you come out ahead it would be just a few $ Not worth it IMO

My friend is an hvac installer. Some brands like Heil, and a frew others won't sell to the public. Most companies require parts to be installed by a licensed installer.

changed my inducer with one from amazon for $80. works just fine. i would bet being in cali , they probably have special rules on installs . if they say you need to pay for a contractor , jsut order one online and install it .

Motor hums but won't spin because it doesn't turn freely, try oiling the bearings.

If youre confident in your ability to do the job correctly just buy the part yourself and install it. If the service is gonna cost less than the part call authorized service and chill. Issue with service is they'll probably find the warp core is cracked and muffler bearings are worn out which will require replacement as well to "do it right".

You will likely have to arrange a service call with a Bryant dealer. You will get the part for free and pay for his labor. Most places charge the flat rate now and if you can find the part, it may be cheaper for you to buy it and install it yourself and forget any warranty.

You will likely have to arrange a service call with a Bryant dealer. You will get the part for free and pay for his labor. Most places charge the flat rate now and if you can find the part, it may be cheaper for you to buy it and install it yourself and forget any warranty.

Will they pay for his labor though. I'm not the original owner of this furnace so I'm not sure what kind of nonsense they will pull to decline it. The labor these days are likely $400 flat so if they won't pay for labor that warranty is as good as useless.

I've replaced motor and inducer on my other furnace before, it is a piece of cake. Just want to see if I'll get a free motor (and installation labor if it is mandatory). The cheapest genuine motor open box new (Jakel) is $100 on ebay, the cheapest genuine assembly with the fan and fixture is about $130 (they call it lightly used, probably install then found issue elsewhere, or something). I've learned enough not to buy no name aftermarket, especially on a place I'm not living in but am responsible for.

Will they pay for his labor though. I'm not the original owner of this furnace so I'm not sure what kind of nonsense they will pull to decline it. The labor these days are likely $400 flat so if they won't pay for labor that warranty is as good as useless.

I've replaced motor and inducer on my other furnace before, it is a piece of cake. Just want to see if I'll get a free motor (and installation labor if it is mandatory). The cheapest genuine motor open box new (Jakel) is $100 on ebay, the cheapest genuine assembly with the fan and fixture is about $130 (they call it lightly used, probably install then found issue elsewhere, or something). I've learned enough not to buy no name aftermarket, especially on a place I'm not living in but am responsible for.
With liability reasons, I would believe your options are you buy the part, install it yourself. Second option, call your heating contractor for a warranty covered motor and you pay for installation. If I could get the part myself, I would go for the first option. It will be less money.

Installed a new (should be genuine or quality, with a FASCO motor) one I got off ebay from a hvac parts house, working well now. Cost is a bit over $100.

Back