Brown deposits on high beam bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was washing my Pilot the other day and noticed browning of both high beam bulbs. These 9005 high beams also double as DRLs.

They are the original bulbs, so maybe this is age-related...?

Last edited:
Running a halogen bulb at low power as a DRL makes the filament hot enough to evaporate metal, but the glass does not get hot enough for the halogen cycle to return the metal to the filament. Very common on cars that rarely have the high beams used at full power for minutes at a time.

Same thing happens on my dad's Subaru which also uses dimmed high beams as the DRL. Try using the high beams for maybe 15 minutes to see if that clears up the deposits on the glass.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I long ago disabled DRL. Not needed this far South.

How come not needed?

No direct scientific data, but I notice when I drive with both headlights and my custom DRL turned off, people seem to pull out or turn in front of me closer and more frequently. I made the custom DRL to save my headlights back when I used short life high output halogen, and so my brake lights had higher contrast during the day. Also makes front turn signals more noticeable because of the color change from white to amber.

Sorry for the
32.gif

Originally Posted By: VeryNoisyPoet
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I long ago disabled DRL. Not needed this far South.

How come not needed?
Much closer to the equator here (~ 30°N) vs. Mass. Plus lots of Sun, clear skies, great visibility.

We only have two seasons here: Summer & February. Completely different climate vs. far up North. DRLs vs. Sun doesn't make much difference. The later always wins.

Plenty of idiots down here now that'll pull out in front of me when I'm going 60mph (legal). But lights won't help; They have a very low frustration tolerance, are impatient and it's all about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back