Brought home a beater today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The explorer has a hitch ball on it too could have picked up one more. I hope the codes tell you the problem and it's easy. Sister in law's boyfriend?

My sister in law is my wife's sister.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Those are my favorite Explorers, the doors on these things shut like a vault.
cool.gif
Is that an XLT? Congrats!

It's an XLS. Which from what I've read is a slight step above the base XL.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
From the outside that really does not look like a beater, it looks pretty good!

Interior is pretty rough, rocker panels have some rust, running board on driver's side is all rotted out (will be removed) passenger side running board is already missing/removed.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
cool.gif

I liked that body style too, they just grew bigger from there which was a turn off for me. Unfortunately the 4.0 from that era had some issues. Either way I'd love a project car like that. Keep us updated on it.

I think you're thinking of the 4.0 SOHC, which was an optional engine for this year. That's the engine with timing chain tensioner issues. That's the engine I have in my Ranger, but mine is not a "problem year." Ford eventually got the issue figured out.

This truck has the 4.0 OHV (pushrod) engine, which does not have timing chain issues. It's a real solid engine. My mother's 1994 Explorer has the same engine and has 207k trouble-free miles on it.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Which 4.0 is the one with the timing chain in the back?

4.0 SOHC. Only one of the timing chains is in back. The other 3 chains are in the front.
13.gif

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Which 4.0 is the one with the timing chain in the back?

4.0 SOHC

Part of the reason I got this truck is because I'm a big Explorer fan and I've always liked this body style. And I'm already very familiar with working on them and already know a lot about them.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
cool.gif

I liked that body style too, they just grew bigger from there which was a turn off for me. Unfortunately the 4.0 from that era had some issues. Either way I'd love a project car like that. Keep us updated on it.

I think you're thinking of the 4.0 SOHC, which was an optional engine for this year. That's the engine with timing chain tensioner issues. That's the engine I have in my Ranger, but mine is not a "problem year." Ford eventually got the issue figured out.

This truck has the 4.0 OHV (pushrod) engine, which does not have timing chain issues. It's a real solid engine. My mother's 1994 Explorer has the same engine and has 207k trouble-free miles on it.

Thanks for the info. That's the engine I was thinking of, a friend had one and had problems with it. For some reason I thought they all had that engine. Based on that your project vehicle is a great choice.
wink.gif

They were concerned about my truck towing one of those dollies one time. Apparantly the lady didn't think a 3/4 ton pickup was up to the task.

I heard that too, when I first towed my GMC back from the ODOT yard in Chillicothe with my '02 6 speed Ram 2500 on an Auto Hauler trailer-told U-Haul it was the xB! Other than leaky trailer tires, zero problems.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
They were concerned about my truck towing one of those dollies one time. Apparantly the lady didn't think a 3/4 ton pickup was up to the task.

They pretty much just type in the year, make and model of the vehicle you're towing with, and the year make and model of the vehicle being towed, and the computer will either approve or deny it. It's not really up to the employees to decide if it's a good combination; they just have to follow the computer.

You can go to U-Haul's website and enter in the vehicle's information there and you can see if U-Haul will approve it beforehand. That's what I did. I was going to tell them I was towing a Nissan Versa, but I saw on the website they wouldn't have approved that, so I changed it to a Yaris and the website approved of that. So I told the employee it was a Yaris.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Not sure I would have a baby in a beater that may need to be pushed or towed home at any point in time.

Every car dies, it's a question of when, and the first time.

Every car's a used car once it leaves the lot.

OP "knows" explorers... what do any of us know about unproven new cars?

The Pilgrims had a baby on the Mayflower and that was pretty rickety sailing.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Nick1994 said:
Alright cough it up, what did you tell Uhaul you were gonna tow?
grin2.gif

2008 Toyota Yaris
grin.gif

Aha! I've done the same thing. Had to tell Uhaul I was towing a Civic when I was towing my mom's AWD Buick Rendezvous. Towing with an Isuzu Ascender. Short distance anyway.

Then I unhooked the car hauler trailer and hitched it to the 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L and towed a 1974 Chevy Nova. Uhaul won't even let the Jeep tow a Geo Metro with a Cherokee.

Wow... Hope you have deep pockets if pulling stunts like that..

Those were great little SUV's. I had the same engine in my '97, which was then passed on to my sister, then my other sister. Had close to 400,000 on it when she got rid of it, it was sold to a mechanic who was swapping the engine into another Explorer.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Nick1994 said:
Alright cough it up, what did you tell Uhaul you were gonna tow?
grin2.gif

2008 Toyota Yaris
grin.gif

Aha! I've done the same thing. Had to tell Uhaul I was towing a Civic when I was towing my mom's AWD Buick Rendezvous. Towing with an Isuzu Ascender. Short distance anyway.

Then I unhooked the car hauler trailer and hitched it to the 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L and towed a 1974 Chevy Nova. Uhaul won't even let the Jeep tow a Geo Metro with a Cherokee.

Wow... Hope you have deep pockets if pulling stunts like that..
It was only about 100-200 pounds over the maximum weight rating for the Jeep, I don't think it's that big of a deal. No highway, about 7 miles of 40 mph. It had plenty of power to pull it, stopping wasn't the best but I drove it like a granny and the uhaul trailer had brakes.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Those are known for rear timing chain problems and other engine problems also, problem is you have to pull the engine to replace it.

That's the SOHC, he has the OHV as per the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back