Brought home a beater today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I got the exhaust repair nightmare done. My genius idea of using nuts and bolts to bolt up the Y-pipe had one small problem that I hadn't thought of: You need a wrench to hold the nut while tightening the bolt, and a 17 mm wrench was too long to access one of the nuts. I had buy a cheap wrench and cut it in half to tighten up one of the bolts. I also had to replace an o2 sensor connector that I accidentally melted when I was using the torch.
blush.gif

Anyway, I got it all done and fired up the engine. No leaks! Although it still seems to be misfiring a little. Fuel trims look good now. I already changed the spark plugs, and I have new wires on the way. I'll have to run it a while and see if any codes pop up and go from there.

I also finished installing the new seats this week. They're pretty sweet.
smile.gif

I'll go to the DMV sometime this week and get it registered. Then I can drive it to the tire shop for tires and an alignment. I just added it to my insurance policy a few days ago. $40 a month for liability only.

Quote:

I'll go to the DMV sometime this week and get it registered.

Very confident assertion considering the post IT upgrade madness.

So, i find queuing up in Old Saybrook 1/2 hour early is worth the time.

I was there < 2 months ago and was out in < 45 minutes.

Last edited:
I was not aware of IT upgrades at the DMV. In the past, I've been in and out of the Old Saybrook DMV in less than 15 minutes. I'll probably go the Hamden one this time though, since it's on my way home from work.

I went to the Hamden DMV today. Wow, that place is busy. I was in and out in about an hour. Most of it was sitting around waiting for my number to be called. I think next time I'll wait until Saturday and go to the Old Saybrook one instead. $190 later, and I now have plates and registration.
sick.gif
I now have 30 days to get an emissions test done or my registration becomes invalid. Let's hope the monitors set and no codes pop up.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Yesterday I did most of the wiring for the power adjustment. I just need to get a fuse holder and hook it up under the hood.

I'm surprised it wasn't pre-wired for electric seats even if they were not installed on your trim line

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Yesterday I did most of the wiring for the power adjustment. I just need to get a fuse holder and hook it up under the hood.

I'm surprised it wasn't pre-wired for electric seats even if they were not installed on your trim line

Being familiar with Fords, it doesn't really surprise me lol. However, all Explorers that came with power seats also came pre-wired for heated seats as well, even if they don't have heated seats. My new seats are not heated, so I didn't bother hooking up the wiring for the heaters.

And since this thread was bumped, I suppose I'll throw in an update: After I got the exhaust leak fixed, I took it out for its maiden voyage by meeting up with family and friends at a restaurant about 10 miles from home. I noticed that the transmission doesn't shift into overdrive. But I already knew it has transmission issues and probably needs to be rebuilt, so whatever. Also the P1151 code didn't go away and did a "hard set" on the way there. I thought fixing the exhaust leak would fix that, but no.

And finally, when I got to my destination, I noticed some steam coming out of the hood. I look underneath, and there was a large puddle of coolant.
cry.gif
When I left the restaurant, I had my cousin follow me to Walmart. I bought coolant and tried topping it off, but it pretty much leaked out as soon as I poured it in. I got on the highway and the temps surprisingly stayed low, due to all the airflow through the radiator. As soon as I got off the highway, the temps skyrocketed and I had to pull over and shut it down almost immediately. I left it in a parking lot and had my cousin give me a ride the rest of the way home. By that point I was only about 2 miles away from home, so I came back the next day and drove it home. It was really cold out that day and the engine didn't even finish getting to operating temp by the time I got home, let alone overheat.

My diagnosis: blown lower intake gasket. This overheating event happened almost a month ago. I still haven't decided if I want to fix it or not. Gasket set is about $70. I may fix it and sell it immediately after, before anything else breaks. Or I can remove the new parts I put on, sell them, and junk the rest.
15.gif

Well that sucks.

If you are pretty sure it's the lower intake gasket though, I'd replace it given the work you have already put in. Not as simple as a dry manifold, but probably worth trying before parting out and junking, and it may also help with figuring out the P1151/fix it in the process. If that fixes the engine issues, then do a pan drop on the trans and maybe throw some Lubegard in and go from there. I've never done a lower intake gasket on a Cologne 4.0, and it does look like a little bit of a pain in the [censored], but given the work so far, I'd try it.

I bought coolant and tried topping it off, but it pretty much leaked out as soon as I poured it in.

I feel like this guy was really dishonest about disclosing the issues with this car!

I still haven't decided if I want to fix it or not. Gasket set is about $70. I may fix it and sell it immediately after, before anything else breaks. Or I can remove the new parts I put on, sell them, and junk the rest.
15.gif

It's been a good story to read through so far, but it's time for it to go. Put your time/effort/money into something that's a good candidate; running/driving/clean-title Explorers are common in places like Copart, and go for little.

I bought coolant and tried topping it off, but it pretty much leaked out as soon as I poured it in.

I feel like this guy was really dishonest about disclosing the issues with this car!

I pressure tested the cooling system after replacing the radiator, and it held pressure fine at the time. There was no way anyone could've known the intake gasket was about to go.

It began leaking on your very first tip with the car?

I drove it a couple of times before this; a total of about 10-12 miles. Then I took the 10 mile trip where I noticed the gasket failed catastropically.

It began leaking on your very first tip with the car?

I drove it a couple of times before this; a total of about 10-12 miles. Then I took the 10 mile trip where I noticed the gasket failed catastropically.

Man, that's a tough break. Usually OHV 4.0s are pretty trouble free there. My 1994 Ranger's cooling system was pretty nasty when I got it, but new hoses, t-stat, water neck, temp sensor, and a $75 radiator had it fixed right up and it has gone on 1500+ mile trips since without an issue. My 1995 Explorer seemed to intermittently leak coolant from the lower intake gasket, but it never got bad. It would do fine on a pressure test. I drove it hard to try to make it leak and figure out exactly where it was coming from, but it wouldn't leak when I drove it hard...go figure. It would just spit a little bit of coolant out when it wanted. Rust ruined it before the cooling system ever had a real issue.

If you junk it and want another project, get a '91-'94 box Explorer. Those are the best. Is your mom still driving that Sport?

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

If you junk it and want another project, get a '91-'94 box Explorer. Those are the best. Is your mom still driving that Sport?

Yes, she is. The intake gasket on that one is leaking too, although not nearly as bad as my mine. Just have to add a few ounces of coolant about once a week. It has 210k miles.

I'm not looking for another project, I just want a cheap 4wd baby-hauler that can hold a lot of other junk inside.

You feel wrong. When someone decides to purchase a "beater", especially one that has to be brought home on a tow dolly, it's up to them to do their due diligence. It was pegged as a "money pit" early on, and that assessment was spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back