Broken Macbook Pro Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just need to vent for a minute...[deep breaths]....So I lay my Macbook Pro on my bed, and while I'm not looking my 5 year old son decides to get on the bed and act as if the MBP was a surfboard. Result = broken screen. GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

OK, I feel a little better now......a little.

New screen from Mac Resource $400.

Originally Posted By: GottaCruise
You may want to check on eBay for a lower cost replacement option.

Any sellers in particular you would recommend? Is this really a DIY project?

You want to look online for a guide on how to replace the screen on you model. I did my brothers dell when he broke it. I can't remember the name of the site but they sold screens and had how to videos on youtube for various model/manufacturer screen replacements.

Becareful with ebay and whatnot. There IS ABSOLUTELY a difference in grades of screens. It has to do with dead pixels, but Ive also read that it has to do with performance, color rendering quality, etc. It is NOT all the same between the $200 laptop and the $2000 laptop.

And the difference in viewing pleasure can be very noticable if you have quality eyes.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
There is an Apple Store in Huntsville Alabama

Link To Web Site

That would be my choice for getting it repaired.

That's where I bought it, but I'm fairly certain I would have to pay a small fortune for them to fix it. I've heard good things about the Huntsville Mac Resource store which has been around longer than the Apple store.

I've been doing some googling, and it looks like I might be able to fix it myself for <$100 with new glass; the LCD itself doesn't appear to be damaged.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne

Link To Web Site

That's where I bought it, but I'm fairly certain I would have to pay a small fortune for them to fix it. I've heard good things about the Huntsville Mac Resource store which has been around longer than the Apple store.

I've been doing some googling, and it looks like I might be able to fix it myself for div>

Your MBP has a glass front? Mine is soft and if I press it, I can see the LC movement.

I broke the front glass on an iphone once, and repair was straightforward. The non-OE replacement glass wasnt as good (far more fingerprint streaking), but otherwise was OK. Some of the coatings of cheaper glass may have a big effect on something as big and bright as a laptop LCD though.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: wavinwayne

Link To Web Site

I've been doing some googling, and it looks like I might be able to fix it myself for div>

Your MBP has a glass front? Mine is soft and if I press it, I can see the LC movement...

Yes. The unibody MBPs have a piece of glass that covers the LCD. From my research today, the unibody MBP glass is held to the frame by some good adhesive, but nothing more. Basically all you need is a heat gun, a suction cup, and some patience, to remove the glass.

Sorry for the delay in reply,

re: recommended eBay vendor: none in particular, would find one that concentrates on tech/lcd sales & has excellent feedback though,

JHZR2 makes an excellent point that not all lcd screens are created equal, so it is important to disassemble & pull the broken lcd panel to give the -exact- manufacturer and model code for replacement,

re: broken overlay glass - that's very good news in the grand scheme of things, a very DYI'able repair, ifixit has great info for the macbook pro:

http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/MacBook_Pro

you will want to remove the lcd panel from the main body before attempting the repair, and use the smallest amount of heat necessary to loosen the adhesive to separate the glass from the frame: so start far away w/ the heat gun, then work closer as needed.. (Overheating is bad for the lcd screen..)

Placing plastic spacers underneath the glass as you lift really helps. (Guitar picks are inexpensive, and handy for this type of laptop repair work..)

Hoping you'll be back to 'surfing' w/ the macbook pro soon.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back