Broken IPhone Screen

Greetings-
Broke the screen on my iPhone, even with screen protector- broke at the notch. Its an old 10XR. Generic replacement service wants $90 to replace. Apple wants $200. Amazon diy kits are about $23. Any luck with the kits?

Last time I did one was on an iPhone 3 I think….

it was ok. There was a noticeable diffference in coatings and screen quality, despite good reviews. Ymmv…

Pretty sure the last time I opened an iPhone was a 3GS. A lot has changed since then. It's not just screws holding it together, lots of adhesive in various places.

If you choose to take care of this yourself, I suggest ifixit.com

Generally good quality, comes with every tool you need if you get the kit and thorough instructions.

i would get the most reputable screen i could. the aftermarket screens floating around ebay and amazon are not the same quality that came on your phone. also your phone will know if you install an aftermarket screen and it may disable face id. i would tread very carefully here.

I second the ifixit route. I've used their kit to replace the screen and battery on Iphone 7Plus, 20 minutes of my time and I had it installed (note, it was the first time I've done phone repairs of any sorts)

I used the DIY kits on my old Galaxy S4 ... after about the 15th one, some of which broke within hours of installation, I got a new phone.

Don't use anything from eBay or Amazon if you DIY. My concern with the independent repair places are what quality of a part or parts are they using ?

How's the battery on that ? You say it's a "10XR" but that's not a thing, it's either a "10" or an "XR" (XR is one year newer, as I recall). If you plan to keep it a couple more years, I'd bite the bullet and pay Apple to replace it. Too bad they don't do the $49 battery replacement anymore 'cause I'd have that done at the same time and that phone will last another 3-4 years if you wanted to keep it.

For that old of a phone you might want to check out the price of refurbished or look at trade in deals with your carrier. Probably not much more if you are paying $200 just for the screen and you could get a faster phone and newer battery

For that old of a phone you might want to check out the price of refurbished or look at trade in deals with your carrier. Probably not much more if you are paying $200 just for the screen and you could get a faster phone and newer battery

Definitely a solid thing to checkout. The Xr is getting a little on the old side, not crazy old at 4.5 years old, but considering it needs an investment to get another few years out of it, definitely need to check out all of the options.

Got my iPhone 8's screen replaced at a UBreakIFix a year-ish ago and quality was a step down and the display protruded farther out of the body and no True Tone feature if you care about it. I didn't mind those since it was the budget repair option but I found that the new display could not keep up with my typing speed and would ignore the occasional tap. I got it swapped back by the shop. (and they had my photos app open)

I would look into refurbished options since your battery may be something you want to replace too in the future and that's $90-100 from Apple/AASP - not bad by itself but combined with a display might make something a bit newer more appealing.

or look at trade in deals with your carrier
Just my experience with Verizon, but unless he upgrades to an iPhone 14 (maybe a 13), VZW won't give him much at all for that model. They really push the latest and greatest, at least when they have incentives they can offer (trade-in value). If he wanted a 12, for example, they'd probably offer him $50-75. The fact that it has a broken screen will change that too though.

Just my experience with Verizon, but unless he upgrades to an iPhone 14 (maybe a 13), VZW won't give him much at all for that model. They really push the latest and greatest, at least when they have incentives they can offer (trade-in value). If he wanted a 12, for example, they'd probably offer him $50-75. The fact that it has a broken screen will change that too though.
Verizon had a promotion a while ago where they offered trade in even if it was broken. Not sure if that is the case now. My wife updated her iPhone 11 that had a bad battery to an IPhone 14 Pro for only about $5 a month. The only catch is you have to stay with Verizon for 24 months because you receive a credit on your bill every month for 24 months. Sometimes the deals are better if you are not with the carrier and you start a new service.

Greetings-
Broke the screen on my iPhone, even with screen protector- broke at the notch. Its an old 10XR. Generic replacement service wants $90 to replace. Apple wants $200. Amazon diy kits are about $23. Any luck with the kits?
If you never done it before, it is very easy to damage the ribbons and their connectors.

They do make better offers from time to time, so it's often just a matter of luck at catching it when they offer it.
Don't use anything from eBay or Amazon if you DIY. My concern with the independent repair places are what quality of a part or parts are they using ?

How's the battery on that ? You say it's a "10XR" but that's not a thing, it's either a "10" or an "XR" (XR is one year newer, as I recall). If you plan to keep it a couple more years, I'd bite the bullet and pay Apple to replace it. Too bad they don't do the $49 battery replacement anymore 'cause I'd have that done at the same time and that phone will last another 3-4 years if you wanted to keep it.
The battery health is still 100%. Thats why Im keeping it till the iPhone 15 comes out. Im careful to not to charge it more than 80% at a time

The battery health is still 100%. Thats why Im keeping it till the iPhone 15 comes out. Im careful to not to charge it more than 80% at a time
If that is the case I would definitely be sceptical of the quality of a $23 display.

You're aiming for the 15?

How broken are we talking about? That's only 6 months away.

Back