Broken Frame on Ram 3500 Dually Hauling Truck Camper

If everyone did homework, then there would be no Darwin awards.

For those of you that haven't broken a frame, you're not having enough fun.

Remember folks, the automaker has deep pockets. So, when your insurance denies your idiocy, then sue the automaker and hope for judicial pity.
Problem is, fool posted too many photos. Should've removed all add-ons.

Reminds me of that Zr2 Colorado bending its frame pulling a trailer. Well, there was definitely more to the story too.

For folks thinking about doing a slide in camper this large, do your homework.
Unequivocally, the best advice stated here. Take the truck to a cat scale empty & compare real payload numbers not what's stated in the brochure. Load up the camper before purchasing to cat weight it & add the general additional weights that would go along with camping including all passenger weights if not gotten in the weight in.

Just a parenthetical note: Back in 1959, John Steinbeck was getting ready for his epic cross-country journey which was documented in his book, Travels With Charley. Steinbeck contacted GM and they built for him a GMC pickup that was specifically speced to handle the weight of the camper and gear. Even back then it was known that there are times when you have to exceed and modify the specs for a vehicle's intended purpose and use.

Here's a pic of Rocinante.

1672503117323.jpeg

The truck can be seen at the Steinbeck Center in Salinas, California. It can be seen online here:

Rocinante

Does the camper dealer have any responsibility in selling and installing the unit on this truck?

Same camper/RV dealers that will sell pretty much anything based on the 'Towing Capacity' of the buyer's truck. They sold him something that was probably under the payload rating, just. They'll just say they have no control over what he loaded into it to make it heavier than the payload.

The linked article seemed to suggest that his mistake was not noticing that the 4WD, crew cab and Cummins diesel engine reduced the payload almost 2000 lbs. Compared to a 2WD, regular cab, gas V8 model.

The linked article seemed to suggest that his mistake was not noticing that the 4WD, crew cab and Cummins diesel engine reduced the payload almost 2000 lbs. Compared to a 2WD, regular cab, gas V8 model.
Does anyone think that the frame would have never experienced a problem with this setup had the truck been a 2wd, gas, regular cab model?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I feel like the additional weight from these options on the truck would not really have been a huge factor in this situation.

Had it been a 2wd, gas, regular cab, sure he may have stayed within his payload capacity, but the frame would have still been under significant stress due the way the weight was concentrated so far back in the vehicle. I feel that although perhaps it may have lasted longer, the frame still would have eventually failed with his setup and usage.

In other pictures I’ve seen, the camper installer welded the front brackets of the camper to the chassis, full length along the face. The welding weakens the metal around it, and then eventually breaks. Not necessarily the trucks fault, even being overloaded. There is a reason they say do not weld to the chassis.

Last edited:
In other pictures I’ve seen, the camper installer welded the front brackets of the camper to the chassis, full length along the face. The welding weakens the metal around it, and then eventually breaks. Not necessarily the trucks fault, even being overloaded. There is a reason they say so not weld to the chassis.
If this is true then the welding heat could have definitely played a role in weakening the frame. Mine are bolt on to the frame of my truck. I don't like the idea of welding them.

If this is true then the welding heat could have definitely played a role in weakening the frame. Mine are bolt on to the frame of my truck. I don't like the idea of welding them.

here is another photo.

Attachments

• 8957579A-59CE-4713-944E-D8C912896839.jpg
    8957579A-59CE-4713-944E-D8C912896839.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 81
Does anyone think that the frame would have never experienced a problem with this setup had the truck been a 2wd, gas, regular cab model?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I feel like the additional weight from these options on the truck would not really have been a huge factor in this situation.

Had it been a 2wd, gas, regular cab, sure he may have stayed within his payload capacity, but the frame would have still been under significant stress due the way the weight was concentrated so far back in the vehicle. I feel that although perhaps it may have lasted longer, the frame still would have eventually failed with his setup and usage.
They have different frames. A regular cab long bed has a 140” wheelbase, and a crew cab long bed like the one that snapped is 169”.

To Clarify - is that a picture of the truck under discussion?

That is a different truck, but similar set up to the one linked. There have been several instances of this issue with slide in campers on these chassis I’ve read about. I believe all of them I have read about had the front supports welded like that. JMO this problem should be on the camper manufacturer/installer rather than the truck manufacturer. They should be U bolted not welded.

Attachments

• D9FAE205-A36F-40D4-8180-8635672BB6AA.jpg
    D9FAE205-A36F-40D4-8180-8635672BB6AA.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 44

I had this exact thought but was too lazy to type it up.

NOW, if there are frame differences, fine. BUT beyond that the extra weight of a Cummins or a front drive axle is irrelevant for THIS failure. YES, I understand weight reduces GVWR but that has to do with suspension and drivetrain (wheel bearings, etc) limitations.

It's looking more like the welding on the frame is more to blame. However, the 2 wheel drive etc could have lessened the chance of this happening but modifying the frame all bets are off imo.

Back