Broken bolt rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to install a short-throw shifter and bushings on the Forester. Why? Because the occasional accessory keeps me interested in an otherwise boring vehicle.

Everything was going well until the last 12mm nut. It was snug so I let some PB Blaster soak on it for a bit. After a while I took my regular 3/8" ratchet to it. I gave it a good push and the end of the stud broke off inside of the nut. $&@/!

The stud is welded to a bracket that's bolted to the transmission behind a crossmember. Balls. What was a fun little 45 minute project has put the Forester out of commission until I can track down the bracket (35033AA022). Boooooooooooo.

Rant over.

Ok so what do you get when you mix late 1940s aluminum and steel. You get snapped screws like they are going out of style. So i have a 1949 wizard wf-4 6hp boat motor thats made from aluminum and every screw used on that motor is steel and they are flatheads. So when steel and aluminum are touching they like to corrode. The flatheads are extremely tough to get a grip on plus the steel they are made of is really cheesy and the heads keep twisting off of the screws. So far i have at least 7 heads that have twisted off. So you know where that project is. Its in the corner of the garage.

Yeah.

Do we have any Subaru employees out there who can mail me the part? I'm going to call the local dealership on Monday, but they always tell me that it's going to be a week.

Had to touch the shifter on a 2013 Subaru didn't you...

I'm kidding! That is brutal. I've been down similar roads before.

Word to self, the shifter is staying stock on my 2014 XV Crosstrek 5spd.

Yep. Stupid me. That "stud" I broke looks like a cheap bolt that was spot welded to the bracket. Doh. It had to happen on the weekend too.

Is it drivable at all as is?

It's been a few years since I had to dealer order something obscure, but that can take a while!

The bushing could easily slip off the stud, so it shouldn't be driven right now. It's a good thing I have the bike to get me around. Hopefully the part will be quick to arrive.

If you google that part number there are lots of online Subaru places selling it.

I just read a thread on a Subaru forum where a guy used zip ties and tape to hold it together while waiting for the part to arrive.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
If you google that part number there are lots of online Subaru places selling it.

I just read a thread on a Subaru forum where a guy used zip ties and tape to hold it together while waiting for the part to arrive.

Yeah, I saw that too, and also the dealers that sell the part online. The key will be finding one in stock that can be sent to me ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back