Broken ankle - push OCI or pay?

I have a 2014 Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi. I always change my own oil. I change the oil in the Spring and Fall regardless of mileage. Generally there are usually 6,000 miles on the oil at that point. I use Penzoil Platinum 5W20 and a Wix filter. I always tell the wife I use good oil and filters just in case something comes up and I can't change it on my normal schedule. Well it happened...

I broke my ankle in a motorcycle race last weekend. I had surgery today and will be out of commission for 8 weeks. I had planned to change the oil this week. There are 7,000 miles on the oil now and am guessing it could have 9,000 - 10,000 miles on it before I can change it myself.

What do you think BobIsTheOilGuy guys? Let it go until I can change it or pay to have it changed?

Some additional info on why I'm reluctant to pay to have it changed... I know two people who had complete engine failures after a shop changed their oil. One was a stripped drain plug. The other was an incorrect oil filter. Also I can't drive so I'd have to have the wife go do it and I already feel bad because she's having to wait on me hand and foot. If I decide to do it, I think I'd rather the dealer do it than a "quicky" shop which means my wife would likely have to take some time off work to get it done.

Doc

Last edited:
Do you have a friend or family member that you trust enough to do an oil change for you?

Also, if you have any other things that you typically let the dealer do (I usually let them do my coolant flushes for example), stack them all into one visit. It reduces the chances of getting the lube lane tech who is typically the newest/least trained and probably the lowest paid guy on the floor.

First off, sorry for your injury. I can certainly understand your hesitance to have someone else change it. Will it be driven less because of your injury? I'm guessing with 7000 miles in only about 5 months, there's a lot of highway miles on the oil. I'd be comfortable letting it go up to 10k miles with less than a year on the oil. That said, if you're hoping to get it changed sooner, ask around for local trusted mechanics, or maybe a buddy can do it for you in exchange for a 12 pack while you watch.

Let it go Doc. Your truck will tolerate the wait better than your Fx.

1632357519777.jpeg

I wouldnt be concerned with 1 10000 mile oci using a full syn oil.
Highway miles are a plus.

The OLM on those is usually 10k by default with semi-syn oil.

I’d take it to those phenomenal wiz bang master mechanics at Jiffy Lube. Just kidding. This isn’t really an issue, take it to a dealer or an Indy shop. It’s changing oil on a pickup, not a differential change on Bugatti Chiron. The vast majority of horror stories come from the ultra quick lube places and even those are a rarity with the bajillion cars those clowns see a day.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I appreciate the opinions. It's interesting to see they are split. Here some answers to the questions...

Who's putting miles on it? My wife drives this truck. I have Ram 3500 with a 6.7 Cummins. So she will continue to put miles on the 1500. My Cummins is also due. I change them on the same time schedule but I put a lot more miles on the Cummins because of my racing. I won't be driving the Cummins so no worries on that truck.

Why can't I just change the oil in 2-3 weeks?... I had surgery that included plates and screws. I cannot put any weight on it for 8 weeks. I'm on crutches. I have to admit I underestimated how hard that makes everything. So I really don't think it's a wise move for me to try to change the oil prior to the 8 weeks.

What kind of miles are on the Ram? It's probably 25% highway, 50% 55 MPH country roads, 25% suburb city driving.

Doc

Well, look at it this way...if it’s your truck and you are the sole driver, you won’t be driving that thing for a few weeks. Where you going to go? What are you going to do? I have a friend that has the same type of injury...broken ankle, surgery, 8 week recovery. He can’t do ANYTHING FOR A WHILE.

Physical therapist came in and OT and they both said, we‘ll be back in two weeks, can’t do anything with you now. Down for the count, he’s hoping in a few weeks he can at least get up and move across the room, because now he can’t.

So, three weeks from now reassess and maybe you can get under it with a creeper and do it yourself, who knows?

You'll probably be in better shape in a few weeks, you probably don't have to wait the full 8 weeks. I had ankle surgery years ago on my right foot and I was driving around on my left foot for a few weeks even though the doctor told me not to drive. I just didn't tell him. I would just wait it out. The normal oil change interval on Mercedes is 10k. Doing it at 10k once won't hurt anything.

Back