Broken and fogged windows at the Ft. Lauderdale airport

wwillson

Staff member
I was in the Ft. Lauderdale airport a few months ago and snapped these pictures of the windows in the Southwest terminal. Almost every window in the terminal looked like these. The windows were cracked and fogged. I've never seen anything like it, nor do I have any idea what caused it.

20220305_143116402_iOS.jpg

20220305_143129604_iOS.jpg

That is a lot of damage. If these are double pane that could be moisture getting in via the cracks. I’m guessing these windows were not sufficient for the size?

They're likely having problems in getting replacement windows. Just like with everything else anymore. Only thing worse than that is to board them up.

If single-pane windows, the fogging is presumably on the inside. The combination of high humidity and cool glass (due to AC use) will cause this.

I wonder whether the cracking is due to a large temperature differential between the inside and the outside. That could stress the glass or the frames.

If single-pane windows, the fogging is presumably on the inside. The combination of high humidity and cool glass (due to AC use) will cause this.
They weren't fogged, they were cloudy. It was very strange.

Airport appears to be right on the coast...
Is that possible hurricane/ storm damage?
Depending on how long ago "a few months ago" was....

Airport appears to be right on the coast...
Is that possible hurricane/ storm damage?
Depending on how long ago "a few months ago" was....
I don't recall there being a storm on the east coast in recent months, to cause this damage; I was also there in March.

Back