Broke dipstick tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dipstick tube on my 2.0L 2003 Jetta broke where it connects the lower metal pipe. I took out my dipstick and there was a small orange piece at the end of it. This has me worrying there may have been some more that fell down into the oil pan.

I've done a bit of research and most people don't think it's an issue, but some say it could clog the oil pickup screen and cause low pressure. It seems they were referring to 1.8 Turbos though, I'm not sure if the 2.0L non turbo is different.

Do you think I need to drop the pan or just get an oil change?

1.8s get clogged pickup tubes due to being hard on oil combined with extended OCIs with [censored] oil. This problem is magnified in the longitudinal 1.8s like the passat as they have less oil capacity.

I would not worry about anything, go get a new tube from the dealer or go to the scrapyard and steal a few and you will be set.

I had that happen on my 2004 VW TDI, I went and bought a Dorman replacement tube. Easy to replace.

I wouldn't worry about a chunk coming off.

My dad had an 01 Jetta with the 2.slow growing when I was growing up. Same thing happened to him. We replaced it and that was it. If I remember him saying it correctly, it's because the exhaust was right beside the dipstick tube. That was probably 7-9 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back